Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Flanged Axle shafts bearings and seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Axle: Flanged Axle shafts bearings and seals

#1 - On a '66 sedan with a Dana 27 rear axle (I think the Model 44 is similar), the outer grease seal is unavailable through any of our Stude Parts vendors Part # 1562434. Does anyone know of an interchange for this seal?

#2 - On the same vehicle, the cone and roller portion of the rear wheel (axle shaft) bearing is listed in the Chassis Body Parts Catalog as Part # 1562421 while Part # 530451 is listed for tapered axle shaft cars. However, the cup portion for both bearings is Part # 165167 (SKF BR14276). FLAPS only show this second cone and roller (#530451 - SKF 14132T) as being used in all 65/66 Studebakers. Are they truly interchangeable? Is there an interchange for the complete kit that a FLAPS might know about?

#3 - I cannot find a Stude Parts Vendor that sells the shaft bearing retaining ring (clinch ring) - Part # 1562427 used to hold the bearing in place. I am thinking there must be an easy interchange with Ford or Chrysler or?

Any and all help appreciated, thanks in advance.
    Mark Hayden
    '66 Commander
    Zone Coordinator
    Pacific Can-Am Zone

Send me a PM. I think I can help.

Chris
    STUDEBAKER of AUSTRALIA
    www.studeparts.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by stude dude View Post
      Send me a PM. I think I can help.

Chris
      STUDEBAKER of AUSTRALIA
      www.studeparts.com.au
      If Chris can help all is well. If you have further difficulties with Dana parts, go on-line and search for Dana/Spicers parts for the 27. I did that with the 44 in my Avanti's (74/83) and found the bearing/seal/ring kit for a 70 or so IH Scout II was a direct replacement.

Several 4X4 sites have very good parts listings and Dana is a very popular supplier. There's little difference between the Stude Dana and the ones used in other applications.

Bob
      Last edited by sweetolbob; 07-10-2014, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Another good source would be Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker. If he doesn't have it, I bet he knows what else swaps in. Good luck.
        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
        X