Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

A-Arm Bushing Fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: A-Arm Bushing Fit

I just finished pressing the old inner bushings out of the upper and lower control arms of my 61 Hawk. I cleaned up the ends of the shafts and checked the fit of the new bushings on the shaft. They slipped on very easy. I was expecting a tighter fit. I didn't see anything in the manual about how tight the fit should be. I need some guidance here. I can see wear on the shaft so if this is supposed to be a machined fit, I might be screwed.

Wayne
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Originally posted by wdills View Post
    I just finished pressing the old inner bushings out of the upper and lower control arms of my 61 Hawk. I cleaned up the ends of the shafts and checked the fit of the new bushings on the shaft. They slipped on very easy. I was expecting a tighter fit. I didn't see anything in the manual about how tight the fit should be. I need some guidance here. I can see wear on the shaft so if this is supposed to be a machined fit, I might be screwed.

Wayne
    Yep, they slip right onto the shaft, and will usually even spin on it, with fingertips. I usually hit the shafts on a wire wheel to knock the rust off, then wipe on a light coat of oil. They should be a light interference press into the arms though.

Comment

You are ok. When the outer bolt is properly tightened they don't rotate on the shaft at ALL. The shaft is just there for support. The inner steel of the bushing is pinched tightly against the shoulder on the shaft . Only the rubber is supposed to flex. That is why yo don't tighten the outer bolts until the normal resting weight is on the suspension. That way the rubber is not over stressed on bumps and such.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Thanks guys. That makes me feel a lot better.
        Wayne
        "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X