• Transmission / Overdrive: Studebaker Avanti TKO 5 speed install - how to

Picture location updated on 11/24/08 - Tom

The candidate for this install is a 1963 Studebaker Avanti :

Current transmission is a base model T86 3 speed truck transmission :

Transmission going in - a '90s TKO TR-3550 5 speed w/Pro 5.0 shifter :

Received kit from Dan Giblin :

I immediately had it CAT scanned :

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Hey Tom,
    Not that it matters now but T-86 is car transmission.
    The 3 speed V8 trucks used T-85C's/T89's

3E38
    4E2
    4E28
    5E13
    7E7
    8E7
    8E12
    8E28

59 Lark
    etc

Comment

Tom, Was that picture taken in Lompoc, CA?

Comment

Interesting, I was told the T86 was a "truck trans", but you are right
        it doesnt really matter now.

Actually, all the pictures except the one of the TKO were taken in the
        City of Lompoc, Ca. That IS my TKO, but the picture was taken in the
        City of Canoga Park, Ca .. by the shop I bought it from.

Before I get a bunch of emails asking for the T86, its already sold,
        and will be on its way to the City of Los Angeles once removed. Funny,
        I guess that keeps the transmission balance in the world equal.

This thread will take some time, as I am doing what I can, when I can,
        and, as always, the "drivers" come first.[B)]

Tom
        '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
        Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
        I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Tom, Who does your machine work here in Lompoc?

Comment

The TKO kit is made by Dan Giblin, he has a post on this forum which
            lists what it costs and includes. For all my machine work I have had
            done by a co-worker in our shop. I am having the bearing retainer done
            to the 4.677 diameter according to Dan's notes. I removed the retainer
            last night. I found a website that explains how to remove it without
            disturbing the input shaft :

This site has PDF files on how to rebuild the TKO, T56 and T5 manual
            transmissions - worth a download.

Tom

Comment

Out of the box, and into the backside of a 16 inch Camaro rim for the
              removal of the bearing retainer. One thing to notice here, some numb
              nuts used high temp RTV on the bearing retainer already, but you are
              supposed to use an Anaerobic Sealant (ET-M29) on the bearing retainer
              and the tailshaft housing.

So you remove these four bolts, then break the sealant by using the
              two slots created in the retainer to get a screwdriver in. You can
              see it on the outside diameter just below the top left bolt :

Be sure to keep pressure on the input shaft to keep it from coming out
              with the bearing retainer. The bearing retainer centers on the bearing
              race thats pushed into the case. The outer diameter of the retainer is
              what centers the transmission into the bellhousing.

Ready to go into the South Bend Lathe at my work.

Tom

Comment

Tom-

I'm following this with great interest as I'm going this route over the T-10 for my Lark project. Thanks for taking the time to post this thread!

I'll be watching...

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Tom, don't loose those shims
                  Dan Giblin
                  Cincinnati, OH

Comment

Your welcome Bob, and dont worry Gibbs, thats why their on the vent!

Tom

Comment

The bearing retainer is now at the 4.677 outside diameter. We found
                      that the throwout bearing surface was .005 out compared to the outer
                      diameter that centers the transmission. Checking the inner diameter
                      that centers on the input shaft bearing, we found that was the same as
                      the outer diameter. That means the throwout bearing surface might not
                      be the best place to indicate too. Bobby readjusted the lathe to use
                      the inner diameter to indicate off of. Then the outer was dead on. So
                      in conclusion - chuck the bearing retainer on the throwout bearing dia
                      but be sure to dial in the lathe on the inner bearing surface.

I hope that makes sense.

Tom

Comment

For these modern aluminum case trannys, I shim to the tight end of spec for end play - particularly the T5. I've no experience with the bigger Tremecs though, but would probably treat them the same were it mine...

Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I'm one tough sumbitch!
                        -------------------
                        Daddy always said, if yer gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough & I\'m one tough sumbiatch!

Comment

quote:Interesting, I was told the T86 was a "truck trans", but you are right
                          it doesnt really matter now.
                          Tom
                          As an aside, that T86 could indeed be a truck transmission. If it has straight cut gears in low and 2nd, it is a truck transmission. I have a T86 in my '61 champ pickup behind a 259 V8. I also remember a local '55 pickup with V8 engine and T86 OD tranny. Also, my Dad's '56 pickup has a T86 and V8. The T86 with straight cut gears was also used behind the 6 cyl. engines in trucks for many years. The input shaft was different between the transmission for the 6s and V8s, obviously, but the rest of the transmission was the same. Dale

Comment

As for T85 vs. T86 transmissions, when it comes to the innards there is a world of difference. The T85 is very similar to a T10, with some of the parts even inter changable, i.e. the synchronizers. Compared to the T85, the T86 looks like something for a riding lawnmower. Also, when it comes to abuse the T85 is just about bullet proof, whereas the T86 is best handled gently.

Joe H

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JoeHall

As for T85 vs. T86 transmissions, when it comes to the innards there is a world of difference. The T85 is very similar to a T10, with some of the parts even inter changable, i.e. the synchronizers. Compared to the T85, the T86 looks like something for a riding lawnmower. Also, when it comes to abuse the T85 is just about bullet proof, whereas the T86 is best handled gently.

Joe H
                              Our '55 E7 has the T85, but I'm sure it's not the original transmission.

Was the T85 optional on V8 pickups?

Comment

Working...
                              X