X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MagikDraggin
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by parky

You are correct. I don't really care about the fact that the car is not authentic. I just want to get the jump on the wise guys at car shows that try to blind side me with the typical "You know, those parking lights don't belong on that car" comments.
    I bought the car because it is a hot rod, with brand x engine, 700R4 trans, Vintage Air. I just want it to be dependable and fun.

Parky
    62 GT Hawk
    Oh how well I can relate to that! I know my comments on here about all the "experts" I encounter, is probably taken out of its intended context, it's those characters one comes in contact with at various car shows and cruise-ins that seem to be knowledgeable about everything under the sun about Studebakers that I am referring to, and not the real experts here on this forum.

My '62 GT Hawk is adorned with a '61 grill emblem, and a '64 hood ornament, amongst other minor details that set it apart from a true-blue "stock" and "original" GT Hawk.....but so what?.....I like how it looks, and to me, that's really all that matters, heh, heh, heh.

1962 GT Hawk 4sp

Leave a comment:

• parky
    replied
    You are correct. I don't really care about the fact that the car is not authentic. I just want to get the jump on the wise guys at car shows that try to blind side me with the typical "You know, those parking lights don't belong on that car" comments.
    I bought the car because it is a hot rod, with brand x engine, 700R4 trans, Vintage Air. I just want it to be dependable and fun.
    As for future changes, wheels would probably be the biggest change. I have no imagination, so the choice of wheels will be difficult. I keep hoping that Dick Steinkamp would take pity on me and trade cars with me. His ride is the look I'd like. Heck, I might even throw in some money to boot.
    If Dick won't cooperate, the tooth fairy would be my only source of funds, so I might as well wish for disc brakes while I'm dreaming.

Parky

62 GT Hawk

Leave a comment:

• S2DSteve
    replied
    If I get your inference correctly, it already has a brand-x engine in it and you plan to do some further modifications. If so, there's no reason to get all concerned about authenticity issues. It would be the ideal car to mix and match from various years/models just to get the look that appeals to you. One thing you might consider to clean up the front end is those new street rod headlights that have the turn signals built in?

Steve Hudson
    The Dalles, Oregon
    1949 "GMOBaker" 1-T Dually
    1953 Commander Convertible
    1954 Champion Coupe
    1960 Hawk

Leave a comment:

• parky
    replied
    Thanks to all who offered their knowledge and suggestions. I am never hesitant to ask a dumb question on this forum. I have never seen such a collection of knowledge accessible in one spot such as this forum.

thanks again
    parky

62 GT Hawk

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    I like it! I even like the color. My only critques would be to eliminate the Hawk emblem on the mesh, paint flat black BEHIND the mesh (where it's body color) and find some round parking-turnsignal lights to replace those from a Kawasaki!

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    The round chrome housing with the Bird at the bottom of the grille is from a 1958 Golden Hawk, it seems at bit redundant with the bird on top!

If anything, the correct '63 red, white & blue emblem mounted at the lower left (of car) on the '63 GT grille would look better.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    To me, the most noticeable incorrect item is the head light rims (that John/JDP included in his very good analysis).

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Leave a comment:

• Aspalen
    replied
    Nice car.
    I like the color.

Lennart...

Leave a comment:

• ROADRACELARK
    replied
    The 62 Hawk did not use a grill emblem at all. It appears from the photos that the side grill mesh is from the 59-61 Hawks. The center grill shell's Hawk emblem appears to have a black background...it should chrome with a textured surface. Closer photos might show different. Nice looking Hawk.

Dan Miller
    Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
    Road Racers turn left AND right.

Leave a comment:

• parky
    replied

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Looks GOOD Parky, it gives it a "different" look, not bad! I would just try to get some kind of round parking/turn signal lights, like '61 Hawk maybe, looks a bit strange with square, doesn't fit with the curved lines of everything else.

Actually to answer your question, it seems to be all '62, just with all the '63 stuff and custom side grille mesh added. Do those '63 fender top spheres light with the headlights like a '63?

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    The side grill mesh is a add on, it has a 63 Hawk center grill, the Hawk emblem is incorrect. BTW, paint the are behind the grill flat black so the yellow does not show through. (pet peeve) The headlight rims are 63-64 GT too and you know about the motorcycle lights.

JDP/Maryland
    64 R2 GT cost to date
    $58,185.77
    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
    63 GT Hawk
    63 Lark 2 door
    59 Scotsman
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

Leave a comment:

• parky
    started a topic Mystery.. What year is this front end??

Mystery.. What year is this front end??

This is my new '62 Hawk, but the front end definitely does not resemble 1962.
    What components has the po used in the front of this car?? The turn signal lights appear to be motorcycle lights. There was a mounting hole in the sheet metal for these lights which resembled '61. I also think the grill behind the lights is not right. I know the color is wrong. That is a late model Beetle/Audi color. How about the grill shell? Is any of this correct? I'm not too concerned as to the authenticity, as this will never be a show car, but I am still curious.

thanks
    parky

62 GT Hawk
Working...
X