T-10 into a '61 Champ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-10 into a '61 Champ

I have access to a T-10 tranny and am thinking about putting it into my Champ pickup. The truck is '61 that was originally a 6 cylinder, but now has an R1 engine in it. Presntly the truck has a T-90 w/od in it. What needs to be done to make this switch?
    Joe Roberts
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Joe, I have 3 truck bell housings that all have the same casting no. but different bolt patterns or pilot hole sizes. It would be hard to tell you exactly what to do unless you had it apart and posted some pics.

Comment

It should be the V-8 Truck Bell Housing that is drilled and tapped for the T-85 Overdrive or Standard Trans, that would fit the the Ford case late '62, & '63,'64 T-10. The Chevy case T-10 does not bolt up to any Truck housing without drilling, which CAN be done.

OR to put it more simply, it needs to be from a '56-'64 V-8 3 speed Truck!

It's a tighter pattern than the T98 4 speed & New Process 5 speeds: (DD & OD) with the lower right bolt slightly to the right of being a square.

The ONLY difference between the 4 speed truck housing and the 5 speed is, the thickness is greater on 5 speeds for the extra length and weight of the new process tranny.

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Joe, is your truck the bright yellow one with a custom hood I've seen at many Southeastern meets?

Matthew Burnette
        '59 Scotsman
        '63 Daytona
        Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

No Matt, mine is the baby (Carolina) blue truck. It is along wheelbase narrow bed. The yellow one you are speeking of belongs to Jack White of Charlotte.

I have the bell housing for the T-10. So I assume it will go together with the R1 engine. What would I need as far as clutch linkage, shifter linkages, etc.?
          Joe Roberts
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser

Comment

Joe,

if you use a *car* T-10 bellhousing you will have to "improvise" mounts. I'd stick with the bell you have if it will work. Clutch should remain the same, I would just buy Hurst shifter and find a stick that works.

I'm honestly not sure why you'd want to do this though; in a truck I'd probably stick with the stock OD or go straight to a 5-speed. If you put gears that will be comfortable on the freeway you'll lose your stump-pulling ability; if you leave the rear from the OD setup in it might be a bit buzzy. But I assume you have already thought this through...

good luck

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Well, as odd as it may sound, I'm finally putting things together to use a Studebaker powered Studebaker pickup in land speed racing. I would have preferred to use a '55 pickup (mainly I like the looks a little better), but I've got the Champ, its got the engine...well you know how it goes. I have been told by lsr guys that the longer wheelbase might be better because of stablily over a shorter version. Don't need to pull stumps, even if I didn't plan to race the thing. It will be a street and track vehicle, although long distance trips might be limited.
              With the ECTA I'll be able to run it in both a street and production classes. I won't be competitive in the points race because I'll be in "D" engine class where a lot of Ford and GM vehicles dominate, but it will be mainly for the fun of it all. An "E" motor (for Studes that would be a 259), might be more competitive, but I am not going to turn the R1 motor into a 259. Maybe later on something like that could be built.
              You guys just be ready for some odd ball questions concerning getting this old truck ready to race.
              Joe Roberts
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JRoberts

Well, as odd as it may sound, I'm finally putting things together to use a Studebaker powered Studebaker pickup in land speed racing. I would have preferred to use a '55 pickup (mainly I like the looks a little better), but I've got the Champ, its got the engine...well you know how it goes. I have been told by lsr guys that the longer wheelbase might be better because of stablily over a shorter version. Don't need to pull stumps, even if I didn't plan to race the thing. It will be a street and track vehicle, although long distance trips might be limited.
                With the ECTA I'll be able to run it in both a street and production classes. I won't be competitive in the points race because I'll be in "D" engine class where a lot of Ford and GM vehicles dominate, but it will be mainly for the fun of it all. An "E" motor (for Studes that would be a 259), might be more competitive, but I am not going to turn the R1 motor into a 259. Maybe later on something like that could be built.
                You guys just be ready for some odd ball questions concerning getting this old truck ready to race.
                Joe Roberts
                Joe,

That is a neat project!!

Just out of curiousity, what class would a '55 with a 224 ci V8 run in?

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Paul, you would also run in "E" engine classification. Trucks do not have a "classic" designation (pre-1982) like cars do, thus you could run in E/Production Pickup or in E/Real Street. Go to ECTA-LSR to order a rule book. Lots of safety regs, more than at most drag strips.
                  Joe Roberts
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser

Comment

That would be cool if you could run a Stude. 224 in a car, and have nothing that small to run against except those easy to beat 221 '62 Ford Fairlanes!

StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The problem with running the 224 in a car is that you would be in a class that runs from 184 cubic inches through 260 cubic inches. However, if you stayed in the E/Classic Production class the record is only 97.706 mph. This set by an early six cylinder Camaro. Production does not necissarily mean stock. You could run a 289+ Stude motoer in a '52 Stude and be production because the engine is the same as the one available in 1952. The only thing that really needs to be the same as stock are the cylinder heads that must have the original number of valves and port configuration. You can use different cams, carbs, etc. Of course there is the safety stuff that must be complied with as well.
                      Joe Roberts
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                      X