Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Stuck Engine 63 Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StudeDave57
    replied
    Glad to hear it, and that we here on the forum were (hopefully) able to help...

StudeDave [8D]
    V/P San Diego County SDC
    San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
    '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
    '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
    '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
    '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
    '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'

Leave a comment:

• 63larkcustom
    replied
    SUCCESS!!!! at 8pm tonight.. the little engine sputtered back to life!! Now for the rest of the car! The title issue has been resolved. Thanks for all the encouragement! New pics will be posted in short order.

Leave a comment:

• sbca96
    replied
    Doesnt really fit the bill of a popular car for some underhanded VIN
    switching. We arent talking about a Ferrari here. Very odd! You
    should be able to do a paperless title change, as long as there is no
    history of the actual VIN being stolen. From your pictures, I dont
    think there will be a dispute, though I would make sure everything is
    taken care of before you sink the BIG money into it! Restoring a car
    is hard enough, restoring it for someone else, with your money - sucks!

Tom

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Bob; is there any sign that the electric welds on the Serial # plate are not original? There should be at least 2 or more on the perimeter. Plate torn etc.? Not welded in the masked, bare square on the forward drivers' door post? These would be signs of funny business going on, with the body being re-serialized. There is supposed to be a duplicate serial on the lower flange of the rearmost frame crossmember that the Calif. CHP is aware of, and can be verified.
    Rich.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA

Leave a comment:

• 63larkcustom
    replied
    I bought the car from a lien sale with a supposed clean california title... the paperwork does not match the vin on the car... I'm workign with dmv to figure out what to do.

Leave a comment:

• sbca96
    replied
    Whats the problem with the title?

Tom

Leave a comment:

• 63larkcustom
    replied
    Thanks for the encouragement Kim, I saw the fabric.. just not the right color. My car was originally Rosemist with the chestnut interior... After stripping through the three coats of paint that are on it.. have decided to put it back to Rosemist. Have run into a few challenges with the titlework. Everything is at a standstill until this is fixed.. So...keeping fingers crossed here. I went and looked at a 64 Lark today as a backup in case the title issue cant be resolved. I don't particularly like the way it felt.. I guess ol Lucy wormed her way under my skin..must be the wayward puppy/kitten/studey syndrome.

Leave a comment:

• kamzack
    replied
    Hey 63LC,
    I just took the time today to read all the posts referring to your 63 Regal. I applaude your convictions to stay with original power source.
    One of the big expenses of bringing a Studebaker back to life,is the expense of fixing factory rust,and I'm sure a portion of the forumites have been involved in making those repairs. It looks and sounds as though you have a big savings in your restoration, not having to spend rather hefty sums to prep body for paint. Sound bodies like your Regal are not plentiful. I have a 63 V8 Regal that's been in my family since new and I'm just now beginning to show a liitle bubling of rust here and there, it too is Ermine white.
    The front end is much easier to rebuild with sheet metal off and engine out and as ya know everthing ya need is available. As you may know if everthing is in good shape and done correctly, there's no need for power steering.
    All this to say, when you're done you'll have a sound, dependable car that you've not spent 30 to 50k to get on the road and you won't meet yourself going down the road. I hope this is of some encouragement to ya cause you've encouraged me by keeping the original engine, transmission and so on.
    If you've not noticed there's a roll of the correct fabric for 63 Regal on Ebay, don't know what color it is, might be worth going for.
    Thanks for letting me share,
    Kim

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Yes you are Bob; the Valve Lifters must be replaced with a new or re-ground cam. And the Cam Gear needs to be replaced, also the oil pressure relief valve needs servicing or replacement. Please remind the mechanic that 6 cyl. oil pump shafts (distributor drive) need to be clocked (timed) on installation. They cannot be AFTER assembly to the camshaft and you cannot time the ignition afterwords like a V-8. You must tear the whole engine back apart to time the dist. driveshaft, don't ask me how I know![xx(]

quote:Originally posted by 63larkcustom
    Am I missing anything that should be done at the same time?
    StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA

Leave a comment:

• bams50
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

Well... If you're gonna call her Lucy, better stay away from big long trailers!(LOL)
    Ron Smith
    I know what you're referring to, Ron... I love that movie

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

Leave a comment:

• 63larkcustom
    replied
    nah.. Lucy as in Lucille Ball... there have been several rather humorous things that have happened with the car.. it kinda fits

Leave a comment:

• 65cruiser
    replied
    Lucy...as in Lucy fer[}]?

quote:Originally posted by 63larkcustom

oh yeah.. the car now has a name... Lucy.. between her flying off the back of the tow truck, etc.. the name just seems fitting

Leave a comment:

• studeclunker
    replied
    Well... If you're gonna call her Lucy, better stay away from big long trailers!(LOL)

Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith

Leave a comment:

• 63larkcustom
    replied
    oh yeah.. the car now has a name... Lucy.. between her flying off the back of the tow truck, etc.. the name just seems fitting

Leave a comment:

• 63larkcustom
    replied
    Great News!! got a call from the machine shop that has the block in its custody... The block is savable without any real major work. Though they did note that the crankshaft had "barnacles" hanging off of it..lol.. Tomorrow am supposed to be getting the "shopping list" to go out and get. So far am figuring a new crank, set of pistons, camshaft, all associated bearings and an oil pump rebuild kit... Am I missing anything that should be done at the same time? The top half of the engine is complete with new valves, springs, valve guides, hardened exhaust seats, freeze plugs, etc... So.. hopefully the little bugger will be coughing its way back soon.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X