Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Applying heat proof paint to exhaust manifolds and intake manifolds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: Applying heat proof paint to exhaust manifolds and intake manifolds

I have a 1957 Silver Hawk with a 1962 259 V-8 engine with a full flow oil filter. The car originally had a 289 V-8 engine with a partial flow oil filter. The exhaust manifolds (in their raw, natural state) and the intake manifold under the carburetor do not look very nice. I have heard that a good way to improve the appearance of the exhaust manifolds is to have them taken off the car and have a specialty company ceramic coat them, but I really do not want to have to take them off and spend this kind of money. So there is a company called Eastwood that on page 20 of their Early Winter Catalog sells something called "Rub-in instant cast-iron luster with easy-to-use Manifold Dressing." It states that "Easy to apply without removing the manifold from the engine. Simply clean the manifold and rub this dressing in thoroughly. Non-toxic and water-soluble. Minimal maintenance needed, tough-up when required." It is part # 11171 Manifold Dressing for $20.99. Has anyone ever used this product, or what do you think about it? Also on page 23 of this same catalog Eastwood also sells paint that it says is "high-Temp Protection up to 1200 F." It comes in the colors of Factory Gray, Silver Matte, or Satin Black. It is available in either spray cans or brush on. Has anyone ever used this product, or what do you think about it? Thanks, Jeff

http://www.slipplate.com/
    The dry graphite spray looks like natural metal dries very quickly, and withstands any heat you can throw at it! Apply to a cool, clean dry surface. When it's dry, take a wadded up newspaper and rub the surface to achieve the look of raw shiney metal. It is not solvent proof however. touches up easily.
    Cheaper than Eastwood, and used by lots of restorers I know that have won national awards in 1st place showings with Shelbys.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I did a bunch of searching when I was putting my new manifolds on, and found Calyx. It was developed by a Corvette Club member (and you know how anal-retentive those guys are) for keeping his manifolds "like-new" looking even after driving.

The stuff is plant-based and non-toxic; smells like mint. Goes on with a toothbrush and stays soft until it gets a taste of heat; then it catalyzes into a hard coating that stays "cast-iron" looking.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0576.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1690965

I put it on my brand-new manifolds from SI to keep them looking that way, but you can also apply it to old ones (brush off the loose rust first) and it will cook on and renew them. Amazon has it, so does Eastwood, and almost all of the Corvette suppliers too.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
      X