Stude trans bolt to chevy engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude trans bolt to chevy engine

I have a 62 lark 4dr with 6cyl and overdrive trans. Motor is stuck and I would like to use a 4.3 chevy but I want to keep the factory trans. Is there an adapter made for this switch? This car is going to be a driver, no engine mods, just want something a little different around here to drive.
    Any help or advice is greatly appreciated in advance.

Steven Bunnell

Just put the Chev. 5 speed behind it, that is one thing you will never regret. And I am going to get some flack here. Duck!

Comment

That is an option, but as of right now I do not have a 5spd, motor is out of a 4wd blazer with auto. Trying to get by with what I have, but if an adapter plate is available but cost same thing I will probably go with the 5spd. I also have a couple of the dodge 4spd overdrives, but would like to keep weight down as much as possible with the 6. Thanks

Comment

If you can find a bellhousing from a 65-66 Studebaker with a manual transmission as clutch and flywheel housing (aka bellhousing) Part # 1564470 was used with all manual transmissions for 6 and 8's. As the 4.3 shares the bellhousing bolt pattern with the Chevy V8 and 194-230-250 inline sixes you should be able to bolt it in.

Studebaker used the above adapter bellhousing to attach its Borg Warner standard trannies.

Check with the used parts vendors listed in Turning Wheels or the www.studebakervendors.com website for a good used one.

Also ask for the frame mounts used by Studebaker to mount the GM V8 into the 65-66's.

Be aware tho, the T-96 is meant only for light use. Even a mild 4.3 may break it.

3E38
        4E2
        4E28
        5E13
        7E7
        8E7
        8E12
        8E28

59 Lark
        etc

Comment

Don't do it! As Transtar60 says, the T96 is much too light duty for that 4.3L V6 engine. Either get a T86 or use the 5-speed.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by whacker

Don't do it!
            The 4.3 in my Sierra is 200 HP and 270 ft pounds of torque. That T96 will last a day or so.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

What would be wrong with using the V6 and the Chevy auto that is already attached to it? You could remove the tranfer case and maybe get a tailshaft for the transmission - some kind of a driveshaft and there you are. Just a thought.

Comment

Well so far only thing I have decided is I will not be using the t96. Going to start looking for a 5spd. I appreciate every ones input. Thanks

Comment

So just to be clear, the bellhouring below will bolt a chevy small block motor to any t86 or t96 studebaker transmission, correct?

"If you can find a bellhousing from a 65-66 Studebaker with a manual transmission as clutch and flywheel housing (aka bellhousing) Part # 1564470 was used with all manual transmissions for 6 and 8's. As the 4.3 shares the bellhousing bolt pattern with the Chevy V8 and 194-230-250 inline sixes you should be able to bolt it in."

54 Champion coupe
                  48 Champion Convert
                  54 Champion coupe
                  48 Champion Convert

Comment

54stude, that is correct, and the part number is the Studebaker part number. I believe this was a buy-out part for Studebaker, as the same bellhousing was used by Checker and a few other manufacturers to mate the SBC to the Borg-Warners.

Comment

54stude; well now, don't get too excited![]

Not just "ANY" T96, or T86 will work! To have the correct input shaft for a Chevy engine, it (the Tranny or input shaft) would have to come from a '65-'66 Stude.!!!

The 194 with std. had a T96, the 194 with Overdrive had a T-86 also the 283, they all fit that Bellhousing.

quote:Originally posted by 54stude

So just to be clear, the bellhouring below will bolt a chevy small block motor to any t86 or t96 studebaker transmission, correct?
                      StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                      X