Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

what type of rad cap to use & is it a pressurized system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: what type of rad cap to use & is it a pressurized system

Bought a cap for a non pressurized system from S.I. for my 50, but seems like it's building pressure & leaking out of the overflow, Looked in the shop manual didn't see anything on coolant pressure

How much are you filling it? There should be about one inch of space between the bottom of the filler neck and the water.

Terry

Comment

Many Studebaker cars were unpressurized up to around 51 or so, but the radiators will accept a pressurized cap. I always use about a 5 pound cap and you can get them from the major Studebaker vendors.

Don't use anything more than 7 pounds, as you might start to spring leaks.

I do not know how the radiators and heater cores were built in 1950, nor how many pounds of pressure they were made to withstand, but I do know that 5 pounds is not too much for them.
      Last edited by RadioRoy; 05-27-2014, 12:04 PM.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Be sure you use a cap that matches the depth of the radiator neck. like RadioRoy said, use a 4 or 5#. It's gonna push out a little.

Comment

Agree w/ all above. The "old school" radiator shop that re-cored the '63's unit stated that the older radiators, esp. those w/ large upper tanks, were not designed for more than 5 - 7 psi. One of the several Stude' parts vendors, can supply one.
          Paul TK

Comment

Working...
          X