Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

RAD Ideas : Mustang GT and Cobra brake adapter bracket update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: RAD Ideas : Mustang GT and Cobra brake adapter bracket update

I haven't really posted much on any of the three forums in the last year or so, but I
    thought I would give an update on what I have been currently working on. Many of
    you will recall that I created an adapter back in 2006 to mount 1994-2004 Mustang
    brakes onto a Studebaker spindle, using the existing Studebaker drum brake hub.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...read.php?64873

Carrying 3, only slightly, different brackets was frustrating and not cost effective. So,
    I have been in the process of redesigning the bracket to work in all three variations.
    Using steel to cut material costs, reduce machining operations and the manufacturing
    cost. First step was to borrow a SN95 steering knuckle and create a solid model of
    it, and the hub for a design study :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMqHObo2WDo

I also started a model of the Studebaker knuckle assembly to compare dimensions of
    the two more closely. I will add to this when I get the dimensions I need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvNHQtZbGJA

I completed the initial 'GEN II' change, but need to take my Avanti apart to get a few
    dimensions rechecked. I want to trial fit a few hubs to check the hub face to flange
    tolerance that Studebaker allowed.

Next step after this is to finalize the rear brake adapter design. The rear bracket hole
    spacing (center of wheel to caliper holes) is different (unlike the front) as they used
    the same caliper for GT or Cobra in the rear, just moved it outward for the larger rotor.

That's all I have right now, just felt the need to share.

If anyone is interested in a Cobra setup for their Studebaker, I have one set of Cobra
    6061-T6 brackets left, as long as the steel design works out as I plan, this set will be
    the last of the aircraft grade aluminum brackets available.

Tom
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Good to hear an update, esp. re the rear (needed) disc system.
    Paul TK

Comment

Thanks Paul.

This is what I have been up to, hanging out over at the 2nd Gen Camaro forum building
      a car for my wife ...

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188458

Tom
      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Originally posted by sbca96 View Post
        Thanks Paul.

This is what I have been up to, hanging out over at the 2nd Gen Camaro forum building
        a car for my wife ...

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188458

Tom

BTW, nice mod to make the flush mount stereo in the post. Post more, Bob

Comment

Thanks Bob, it was quite an undertaking cutting a stereo apart, but I figured that it was
          worthwhile since I can utilize it on the Avanti. I kinda stay off most of the Studebaker
          forums for reasons I'm sure you are familiar with. I thought I would give it a shot again
          to test the waters, so far SDC has been ok, but I left Racing Studebakers again for now.

Tom

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
          BTW, nice mod to make the flush mount stereo in the post. Post more, Bob

Comment

Another update, I removed the 13" Cobra brakes and the hub, then the GEN1 bracket to
            check my measurements against the SN95 assembly model created in the video above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOM3RZnMA9s

The GEN1 bracket is added in this video as transparent to show the spindle.

Tom

Comment

First version of the PBR caliper and 13 inch rotor.

More detail added to the PBR caliper.

Tom

Comment

Been away from this for a while....

Pulled apart the rear brakes on the Avanti to measure and create 3D models of the GT setup. I am
                also researching the Cobra rear setup parts to order and create mounts that will accommodate both
                setups. Seems possible.

Tom

Comment

Hi Tom,
                  Are you using Autocad? Solidworks? Looks good.
                  "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Cobra Brake Adapter Questions

Originally posted by sbca96 View Post
                    Been away from this for a while....

Pulled apart the rear brakes on the Avanti to measure and create 3D models of the GT setup. I am
                    also researching the Cobra rear setup parts to order and create mounts that will accommodate both
                    setups. Seems possible.

Tom
                    Tom,

Keep us posted on your progress. Your CAD drawings look great. What mods will the rear wheel brackets require to the original Stude Avanti hubs, if any? What is the size of the 2003 Cobra rear rotors?

A bolt on setup would be great for me, but I could live with some minor machine work, too...

Steve

Comment

Looks great Mike,
                      The only problem for me would be the use of 13" rotors, as most would prefer to retain 15" wheels. I'm thinking of doing a rear axle change to a Ford Exporer 8.8 with rear discs already there at 11.3 inches and 15's fit as they are the standard size. Looking at cost as a part of this brake change, what are the chances an Explorer front disc, also 11.3 would work, after machining the front hub to allow the rotor to be a slip off type? These rotors are available from $22.00 each as a hat only, makes "rebraking" real cost effective!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                        Hi Tom,
                        Are you using Autocad? Solidworks? Looks good.
                        Scott,

It is a 3D modeling software.

Originally posted by Mangusta1969 View Post
                        Tom,

Keep us posted on your progress. Your CAD drawings look great. What mods will the rear wheel brackets require to the original Stude Avanti hubs, if any? What is the size of the 2003 Cobra rear rotors?

A bolt on setup would be great for me, but I could live with some minor machine work, too...

Steve
                        Steve,

The brackets I have on the rear of my Avanti are modified Ford parts, they simply bolt onto the
                        inner surface of the axle tube flange using 3 of the 4 bolts. The hub is the same one the drum
                        is mounted to. I pressed out the studs and drilled them just like the front hubs and used those
                        same shouldered studs to center the rotor. The only thing that I found was over the years the
                        rear hubs get distorted from the forces generated pulling the hub off the tapered axle shafts. I
                        had my hubs put on a lathe and just cleaned up on the front face. This is not a requirement, I
                        also found that a solid blow from a short sledge will move the hub face a tad to fix runout issues.

Cobra rear rotor is 11.65 inches and it is vented, while the GT is 10.5 and solid.

Originally posted by karterfred88 View Post
                        Looks great Mike,
                        The only problem for me would be the use of 13" rotors, as most would prefer to retain 15" wheels. I'm thinking of doing a rear axle change to a Ford Exporer 8.8 with rear discs already there at 11.3 inches and 15's fit as they are the standard size. Looking at cost as a part of this brake change, what are the chances an Explorer front disc, also 11.3 would work, after machining the front hub to allow the rotor to be a slip off type? These rotors are available from $22.00 each as a hat only, makes "rebraking" real cost effective!!
                        Mike? hmmm.

The problem with using a different rotor design from what matches the Cobra is the offset of the
                        hat and the rotor diameter. Ford designed the front setup to use the same caliper mounting hole
                        for both GT and Cobra. The calipers actually make up for the difference in rotor size. If I was to
                        go with a different smaller rotor (to replace the 11 inch GT I assume is your question), it would
                        require a different caliper and possibly different mounting hole locations. That would require the
                        use of different caliper mounting brackets for the front again - which I am trying to avoid. With
                        a simple machining to the outside edge of the stock Studebaker hub, the GT rotor slides on just
                        fine. This is a one time modification just like the stud change, from that point on you just get a
                        Ford part, open the holes a tad (as shown in my threads) and they slide onto the shoulder studs.

The GT version of this setup allows the use of 15" wheels. Only the Cobra setup needs 17+.

For the record, GT rear rotor is $29 and the front is $32 dollars at your local auto parts store.

Tom
                        Last edited by sbca96; 09-28-2014, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Cobra/Mach1 Caliper Bracket added

I ordered the Cobra/Mach1 caliper bracket which allows the use of the 11.65 inch Cobra rotor to
                          be used in the design. The setup in use on my Avanti for years now has been the 10.5 inch GT
                          rotor and caliper bracket. Ford used the same hydraulic caliper, but changed the pads, rotor and
                          mounting to fit the two different versions. The plan is to make ONE bracket that mounts to the
                          Dana 44, but allows either setup to be installed. Here are the preliminary Cobra additions :

And a view of the Ford parking brake setup, which actually works with the stock Studebaker pull
                          cables already on your car.

Here is a short video showing the difference between the two setups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5ZNmHBKaY0

Tom
                          Last edited by sbca96; 09-28-2014, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Mike,
                            Since you're using Mustang brakes now on your Avanti, are you still using the Bendix booster? Have you considered or tried switching to a Hydraboost system not dependent on engine vacuum?
                            Last edited by karterfred88; 09-30-2014, 10:45 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=karterfred88;872908]Mike,
                              Since you're using Mustang brakes now on your Avanti, are you still using the Bendix booster? Have you considered or tried switching to a Hydraboost system not dependent on engine vacuum?[/QUOTE
                              I'm using a hydroboost system for the Paxton Novi blown R4 I'm building.
                              Bez Auto Alchemy
                              573-318-8948
                              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X