Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

RAD Ideas : Mustang GT and Cobra brake adapter bracket update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The design has switched to steel, the design was intended to be waterjet cut to reduce waste. Whats stalling is finding a shop that does both. If I have blanks cut and ship to another shop for final machining the costs are WAY higher then one shop doing it all. I have feelers out to about 5 shops, I am hopeful that one can do what I am asking. Some claim they are a CNC machining shop, and reveal after contact they "only" do Waterjet.

Thanks Jim . I got your message. I will consider it if the more local shops let me down once again. I realize that its basically simple once the right place is found.

Tom
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Finally some good news

After quite a long search, and a lot of letdowns .. I found a shop that was able to make this happen.

The machining and plating is complete, just the Laser Etching of the logo remains. Payment was sent Via USPS on Friday and I hope to have the finished parts before the end of the month.

Here are some teaser pictures :

The new GEN II brackets are laser cut from A514 steel and are clear zinc plated for rust resistance. They also will include laser cut brake hose to frame brackets, also zinc plated. The new design brackets are one size fits all, so there is no need to decide which calipers you want to use up front. The thickness of the material is also matched to the thickness of the Mustang spindle, so factory caliper mounting hardware can be used. Since they are now based off the actual Mustang spindle shape, they can use any aftermarket systems available for 1994-2004 Mustangs.

For those that like to read about this : A514 is a high strength alloy steel with a yield strength of 100,000 psi - not your average mild steel.

Thanks again for your interest, sorry about the wait!

Tom
      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Your product will probably never be on my car, but it is cool to see that someone has the imagination and drive to produce these items for our cars.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

So, these are still the front brackets? How is the rear for flanged axles brackets coming along?
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Tom, could I p.m. you for info on your systems? I have a '64 GT Hawk that I want to install "good" disc brakes all around. I'll need info for master cylinders and the entire system. Also, I intend to convert the pedals to suspended, so the master/booster will be firewall mounted. Thanks for any help you might have. Bill Van Alstyne

Comment

Glad to hear that the product is near production. I like the idea of using Studebaker hub and bearing without spacer and steel bracket is best material in my mind

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                Your product will probably never be on my car, but it is cool to see that someone has the imagination and drive to produce these items for our cars.
                Thanks for the kind words. Disc brakes are pretty much a must have now-a-days as just about any
                modern vehicle (of any size) on the road can out stop a 4 wheel drum car. Keep in mind that this is
                also a simple base Mustang GT disc setup, a single piston caliper and 11 inch vented rotor.

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                So, these are still the front brackets? How is the rear for flanged axles brackets coming along?
                This is the front brackets, the rear brakes are a tricky animal and there are options out there now
                for a Dana 44. The issue is that there are basically three versions of Dana 44, tapered, the factory
                flanged and the aftermarket flanged. Each one has its own needs. I had a design I felt pretty good
                about until it was blown out of the water with the pressed on bearing the aftermarket one uses. The
                plan was to get a working relationship with a shop and then see about moving forward on a universal
                rear setup. I have some ideas ..

Originally posted by bill van alstyne View Post
                Tom, could I p.m. you for info on your systems? I have a '64 GT Hawk that I want to install "good" disc brakes all around. I'll need info for master cylinders and the entire system. Also, I intend to convert the pedals to suspended, so the master/booster will be firewall mounted. Thanks for any help you might have. Bill Van Alstyne
                Bill, feel free to PM me or email direct at SBCA96 @ aol.com (remove the spaces)

Originally posted by acolds View Post
                Glad to hear that the product is near production. I like the idea of using Studebaker hub and bearing without spacer and steel bracket is best material in my mind
                Thanks .. the Shop has agreed to send me a set before the full shipment, so that I could bring them
                to the SDC 32 Annual Winter Meet in Oxnard, California on March 12th. Unfortunately, my Avanti isnt
                up to the trip with a bad throwout bearing.

https://visitoxnard.com/event/la-stu...ard-show-2017/

Tom

Comment

Modern Design Disk Brakes for Avanti and other Studes

Tom,

Count me in for a set of front brackets for my 63 R1 Avanti. The brackets look beautiful, too! I think my Avanti has the dreaded tapered rear axle design, but I will have to double check on that and get back to you. Now I just have to remember where I stored my Mustang GT front calipers and rotors for this project. Congrats on pursuing this project for us!!

Let us know what you decide on pricing for the parts and shipping costs. Shipment to me would be to Zipcode 89703 (Carson City, NV).

regards,

Steve

Originally posted by sbca96 View Post
                  Thanks for the kind words. Disc brakes are pretty much a must have now-a-days as just about any
                  modern vehicle (of any size) on the road can out stop a 4 wheel drum car. Keep in mind that this is
                  also a simple base Mustang GT disc setup, a single piston caliper and 11 inch vented rotor.

This is the front brackets, the rear brakes are a tricky animal and there are options out there now
                  for a Dana 44. The issue is that there are basically three versions of Dana 44, tapered, the factory
                  flanged and the aftermarket flanged. Each one has its own needs. I had a design I felt pretty good
                  about until it was blown out of the water with the pressed on bearing the aftermarket one uses. The
                  plan was to get a working relationship with a shop and then see about moving forward on a universal
                  rear setup. I have some ideas ..

Bill, feel free to PM me or email direct at SBCA96 @ aol.com (remove the spaces)

Thanks .. the Shop has agreed to send me a set before the full shipment, so that I could bring them
                  to the SDC 32 Annual Winter Meet in Oxnard, California on March 12th. Unfortunately, my Avanti isnt
                  up to the trip with a bad throwout bearing.

https://visitoxnard.com/event/la-stu...ard-show-2017/

Tom

Comment

With your effort and detail oriented information will you include list of all small parts needed for installation such as bolt sizes and related hardware, brake hoses , line adapters and such. To enable first time users being able to have all needed parts on hand when starting job rather than make extra trips to get parts. After reading entire post very complete in details thanks for your work and dedication to this project. Will your finished product have a proper name?

Comment

I have a list of the parts needed, with part numbers, like the shouldered wheel studs and such.

Tom

Comment

Parts are here!

Received the parts today, they look quite nice in person too. The 6061-T6 version was 2 pounds each, the Alloy Steel is 3.5 pounds each, not that much. 1-1/2 pound difference per side.

I need to install a set and make sure everything lines up correctly before I can start shipping them out.

Tom

Comment

Those are truly beautiful. Nice work!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Having a QA and machine shop background I will say they look almost to nice to install on spindle and cover with a rotor and caliper . The time and effort you put in the project shows in the results.

Comment

id be interested in a set as well. I was looking for a cost but didn't see , have you price pointed these yet?
                              1 Family owned 63 Studebaker Avanti 63r-1705 White with Orange interior , R2 4 speed.
                              Just purchased 63r-3623 R2 was a auto now dressed to a R3 with a4speed.

Comment

Nice work Tom.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X