hand brake question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: hand brake question

hello all ,for some reason i cannot adjust the slack out of the rear handbrake cable on a 1957 hawk i am rebuilding. the rear brakes have been rebuilt with new shoes, i have adjusted the shoes up and also the adjusting nuts on the cable braket under the car where the front cable meets the rear cable but the rear cable is always a bit slack and of course the hand brake will not work . i note that there are some small brakets which the rear cable goes through , these brackets are bolted to the inside chassis rail and seem to keep the rear cable in place , my question is how many of these brakets are there ,i have one on each side , a larger one on the passenger side with a small one on the drivers side but i have one spare left over, could anyone please let me know how many of these brakets i am susposed to have , this is a left hand drive car ,thanks from roger
    R.A.Jennings

Did you replace either of the cables? One of the cable ends on the hand brake lever inside the brake drum might have come off. Is the outside cable housing secured to the brake backing plate? On my Cruiser there are only two of the cable guides, one on either side attached to the frame. I hope this helps you.

Comment

I believe there are 3 such guides on a Hawk chassis. Look carefully along the frame rails for a pair of holes that match the hole spacing on the "extra" guide you have.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

hello all , i have solved the rear brake cable problem on my hawk , i had a small cable guide missing from the chassis and would you believe i had the bracket where the front cable attachs to the rear cable in the wrong holes , thanks for all your help , cheers from roger
        R.A.Jennings

Comment

Working...
        X