Replacement antenna for 64-66

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Replacement antenna for 64-66

Aside from SI, does anyone have experience with replacement antennas that look original? I see some on eBay, but it's hard to tell how well they fit since they are pretty much advertised for everything. Does anyone have a brand and part number for an antenna I could get through NAPA or some other local source? Or, does anyone have an original for sale? I have a 66 Cruiser. Thanks.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

All the ones I've seen are the generic type that will not work in the same position as the original Stude antenna. I wish someone would make a reproduction of the original antenna, I'd take at least 6!!
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

[QUOTE=Warren Webb;845670]All the ones I've seen are the generic type that will not work in the same position as the original Stude antenna. QUOTE]

Would you elaborate on that, please?

I use the ones that manually go all the way down, so you can put on a car cover. They have a shorter mast than original, more sections, plus they are brushed instead of shiny chrome. But they are the best I have found, simply because they go all the way down. Having said that, I have not found that they would not fit in original holes. The mounting hardware does not look original, either, but they still can be mounted in the original holes.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

All the generic ones I've seen mount directly under the fender so on the original Stude position there isn't enough room between the fender & cowl for that mount. the original Stude manual antenna had a "washer like" stack on the upper portion of the mast base that went up against the inside of the "A" pillar location so that the retaining nut & base sandwiched the mast on the (topside) outer portion of the left front fender. If you have access to an antenna that works I'd like to see it. Mounting hardware not looking original would not be a concern to me.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
          All the generic ones I've seen mount directly under the fender so on the original Stude position there isn't enough room between the fender & cowl for that mount. the original Stude manual antenna had a "washer like" stack on the upper portion of the mast base that went up against the inside of the "A" pillar location so that the retaining nut & base sandwiched the mast on the (topside) outer portion of the left front fender. If you have access to an antenna that works I'd like to see it. Mounting hardware not looking original would not be a concern to me.
          Warren, that is the same problem I have always encountered with aftermarket ones. I too would be interested to see one that will mount in the Stude fender hole.

Comment

I have one that you can turn the the know up and down from inside the car cab. It is in perfect condition. Let me know. Also, for all you stude members, I rebuild stude antenna that were used from 1947 to 1958. Let me know if you need yours rebuilt.

Comment

I sent you an email Roy V. Thanks.
              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                Aside from SI, does anyone have experience with replacement antennas that look original? I see some on eBay, but it's hard to tell how well they fit since they are pretty much advertised for everything. Does anyone have a brand and part number for an antenna I could get through NAPA or some other local source? Or, does anyone have an original for sale? I have a 66 Cruiser. Thanks.
                Let me know if you get stuck....I just pulled the N.O.S. one out of my '66 to fit a roll up one. I have some new and used ones here.

Chris
                STUDEBAKER of AUSTRALIA
                www.studeparts.com.au

Comment

Working...
                X