Heater Control Valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Heater Control Valve

Installed a replacement straight line ball-type heater control valve. Bought new from SI. Works well for the heat control, however, seems it should be secured to something. Currently it is suspended by the hoses (elbow and straight) and resists being opened by pushing in the control knob on the dash. Knob will pull out to close the valve, but will not go back in to open it. Opening is currently by hand under the hood, not something for long term use.

Above unit is in a '63 Champ. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by GTCruiser View Post
      ...seems it should be secured to something.
      If you want complete control from the passenger compartment, you are correct.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I don't mess with replacement valves or NOS. I've had Joe Hudacek in WI. rebuild my valves. He advertises in Hemmings and does excellent work. The valve comes back looking better than NOS. I don't mean to knock anyone but I don't do conversions. I'm more into originality and want things to work the way they were intended even if it was 50 years ago!
        Rob in PA.

Comment

Can you secure the sheathing of the cable at the valve end? If the sheathing is attached to both the valve and the dash board, it should work in both directions.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
            Can you secure the sheathing of the cable at the valve end? If the sheathing is attached to both the valve and the dash board, it should work in both directions.
            Establishing a point to secure the sheathing near the valve is the challenge. Maybe someone has done that before and would have advice. Did find the sheathing is not secured under the dash, which should be more easily corrected. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by stude1964 View Post
              I don't mess with replacement valves or NOS. I've had Joe Hudacek in WI. rebuild my valves. He advertises in Hemmings and does excellent work. The valve comes back looking better than NOS. I don't mean to knock anyone but I don't do conversions. I'm more into originality and want things to work the way they were intended even if it was 50 years ago!
              Rob in PA.
              Rob, do you have a link or contact information for Joe?
              Ed Sallia
              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Eddie View Post
                Rob, do you have a link or contact information for Joe?
                http://www.heatervalves.net/

Comment

Forgive my stupid question/statements. I have a 63 Lark Regal with a heater problem. The heater seems to be on all the time, even with the fan and heater/defroster off, etc. Since it got quite warm inside the car, I thought it might be overheating. The radiator was checked out and found to be in excellent condition by an old time radiator shop. They said it had be recored and worked fine. So, I figured it was some sort of a thermostat problem with the Climatizer, because I finally traced the warmth to the heater itself being on, radiating heat so to speak. Since I never drive the car when it needs heat or defrosting, I though I would just bypass the system by looping the heater hoses under the hood. Not the ideal, but the simplest and cheapest! Then when I read this Thread, it sounds like it could be a Heater Control Valve. Any expert opinions to help this non-mechanic? Thanks in advance.
                  Last edited by sochocki; 05-21-2014, 01:03 PM.

Comment

sochocki - I believe that may indeed be your problem. When the control valve gets worn it may not close all the way and will let coolant bypass through and into the heater core. Replacing or rebuilding the control valve should solve the problem. They get old like us and leak. Ha ha.
                    Ed Sallia
                    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Thanks Commander Eddie!

Comment

Originally posted by GTCruiser View Post
                        Establishing a point to secure the sheathing near the valve is the challenge. Maybe someone has done that before and would have advice. Did find the sheathing is not secured under the dash, which should be more easily corrected. Thanks
                        I was thinking it could be as simple as a plastic tie wrap, wire tie, securing the sheathing to the hose itself, far enough away from the valve to allow the center of the cable to operate.

But securing the sheathing to the dash would be the first step and may even be enough to do the job.
                        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Another stupid question. Regarding my 63 Lark Regal (259 V8) and its misbehaving heater control valve. The car is in storage now still, so I checked my shop manual to see if I could tell the location of the HCV. I guess I am learning disabled, but I could not tell from the text and diagrams exactly where this elusive valve is. I seem to remember a thermostat-looking object underneath the dash, on the far right side of the climatizer, close to the bottom of the instrument panel. Or is this under the hood, near the heater core?? Sorry for the ignorance!!

Comment

On the 63 Lark it is under the dash on the passenger side, your memory is correct!
                            Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
                            1961 Hawk 4-speed
                            1967 Avanti
                            1961 Lark 2 door
                            1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Thanks Uncle Miltie!! Will check this out this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X