drum removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: drum removal

I am going to put spacers on my 54 3R5 this week. When I remove the rear drums is there a certain way it should be done?

You must have the correct wheel puller---Hooks to the studs, not the edges of the drums. I am in fl now and cannot show a picture- mine is in Pa-I'm sure someone else can and will.

Comment

What kind of spacers, wheel spacers? They would go on the outside of the drums.
      D 'N Q RACE ENGINES

Comment

I need to move the rear tires out to clear the box on my 54 3R5. I have a box from a 59 on it ( long story ), I was told I had to remove the drums to do this. This would be the first time to do either any advice would be helpfull

Comment

Originally posted by jbjr View Post
          ... remove the drums to do this. This would be the first time to do either ...
          If you've never removed your rear drums it may be a good idea to do so just to verify your shoe lining and cylinder condition. It's annually required in Pennsylvania for safety inspection.

Anyway, here's the "HUB" puller you need. Snap-on has it new for $189.95. You should be able to borrow or rent it somewhere.

When you re-assemble, be certain to keep the axle taper and hub center clean and dry. DO NOT APPLY ANY LUBRICANT !
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

$100 on Amazon. I bought this exact tool and it is well made and worked great
            Studebaker1962

Comment

When you put the puller on and tighten it as much as you can , hit the screw with a heavy hammer in line with the axle.
              This will shock the drum loose.
              Make sure when you remove the axle nut to put it back on loosely without the washer , giving it room to move the drum.
              This will protect your private parts from a flying brake drum when it lets loose.
              Robert Kapteyn

Comment

I have read various posts about the need for a "dry" taper fit of the rear drums. Has anyone broken a drum? I have followed the forum's advice. Just curious.

The torque spec is 100 or 170 beyond first cotter pin hole depending on which note you read in the shop manual on the torque spec page. So get the nut very tight then drive the wrench with your heavy hammer one more position on the castle nut. Yes?
                Studebaker1962

Comment

I had an inspection mechanic replace a left rear drum after checking for shoe wear and cylinder condition for a state safety inspection. He anti-seized the taper and torqued the hub to spec. It split the keyway and stressed the seal to the point of leaking when not on level ground. I had to have the hub replaced. So, to be specific, not the drum but the hub.
                  Just one of a couple hundred reasons why I determined to learn how to manage my own repairs.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

thanks for all the help, I am a little late in learning but what the heck. I need something to learn during retirement,

Comment

...... '63 Cruiser..... lubed keyways......cracked hub.....wait until you hit the brakes hard .... !

Comment

Good advice to remove the drums and do brake and wheel bearing inspection/service while you are in there. But you still need wheel spacers/adapters to move the wheels outward. Something like these:
                        http://www.ezaccessory.com/Billet_Wh...FceCfgodqSwA4A
                        D 'N Q RACE ENGINES

Comment

I dont have manual in front of me but says something about special tool to center axle/wheel seals. Can you reuse old felt seals? they dont appear to be leaking, also mentions bearing puller is that necessary? Im so happy to have gotten drum off. trying to determine why R. rear wheel is locking up on hard braking.

Mike
                          Weaverville Ca.
                          49 Commander Starlight

Comment

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                            Good advice to remove the drums and do brake and wheel bearing inspection/service while you are in there. But you still need wheel spacers/adapters to move the wheels outward. Something like these:
                            http://www.ezaccessory.com/Billet_Wh...FceCfgodqSwA4A
                            Remember the studs are only so long, be sure you have enough stud showing with the spacer in place, before you put the drums back on. If not you need to replace the studs with longer ones, easily done with the drums and hubs off, can be pressed out and in easily with a press or a local machine shop can do it for you.

Comment

Someone should nab this. Its a great price. I paid more than this for mine and mine was well used.
                              http://toledo.craigslist.org/tls/4487190156.html
                              sigpic
                              '89 Ford Festiva
                              '90 Ford F250 4x4
                              '18 Kia Soul
                              '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
                              '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Working...
                              X