Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

converting an R-1 dist. to an R-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition: converting an R-1 dist. to an R-2

I'd say the added spark energy of a dual point distributor would only be important with points ignitions at higher rpm. Most any electronic ignition would have plenty of juice.

Far more important is the curve provided by the weights and springs.

Comment

The cam is only different in the slot length to limit the travel of the centrifugal advance. R2's come in quicker with a weaker spring on one weight, and limit the total a little less to keep deadly high speed detonation down. It comes in quicker because the R2 compression is lower than the R1, and this helps low speed throttle response before the supercharger builds any boost. The Vacuum advance will also have a few more shims to make the spring stiffer. I don't know the non R engines' distributor cam would be much different than an R1 cam. All I can say is to check the slot lengths
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

The E cam in the Prestolite distributors allows about 24 deg. advance, the P cam is about 20 deg. and the Y cam is limited to around 16 deg. centrifugal advance. All of the R2 distributors that I have rebuilt have 2 light springs on the weights and the standard and R1 distributors use one light and one heavier spring on the weights. A E cam can be used with an R1 distributor if the engine's base timing is limited to reduce detonation. I did that with the R1 distributor in my 62 Hawk to allow for a bit more centrifugal advance without having too much advance at lower rpms. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
          A E cam can be used with an R1 distributor if the engine's base timing is limited to reduce detonation. I did that with the R1 distributor in my 62 Hawk to allow for a bit more centrifugal advance without having too much advance at lower rpms. Bud
          Thanks all for the replies and info.

Bud, was the purpose of using the E cam in the R-1 dist. to enable easier starting(less starter strain)? Or did that help with pinging?

regards,
          Jay

Comment

The initial timing will be the same with all distributor cams regardless. The differences come into play when rpms are developed to give centrifugal advance.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

It's ALWAYS...a good idea, to get the full advance, in as quickly as possible. Somewhere between about 900 and 1100 rpm. That is, the heaviest weights and the lightest springs.
              This greatly helps your acceleration from the local stop lights/signs.

BUT, as noted with the shorter slot in the R2 advance plate, too much advance can hurt. The advance "kit's" that are, or were available, used to have a larger bushing to install on the limiting pin to drop 4 degrees off the max. advance of most Delco distributors. I don't know if this is still fact.
              This can also be limited somewhat by messsing with the static and the vacuum advance total. There are vacuum canisters that are adjustable. Not sure if there is one for the backward Stude distributor..! I'd bet it wouldn't take much to do the required modifications to make the normal rotation advance can work in the Stude distributor.

Mike

Comment

In a performance-oriented engine and driver, with premium fuel . . .
                Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                It's ALWAYS...a good idea, to get the full advance, in as quickly as possible. Somewhere between about 900 and 1100 rpm. That is, the heaviest weights and the lightest springs.
                This greatly helps your acceleration from the local stop lights/signs. Mike
                but if it's a CASO who buys the cheapest fuel, never downshifts, lugs the engine, then not so much.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

The E cam allows for more centrifugal advance at higher rpm which allows for less initial timing which makes for a bit smoother idle and possibly easier starting depending on how much initial advance is used. The standard and R1 distributors should have full advance around 2400 rpm and the R2 is around 1600 due to the lighter springs on the weights. The vacuum advance should give full advance at 13 inches mercury and is adjusted with shims between the spring and end cap. If an E cam is used in an R series distributor, using dual points is no problem, but the reluctor for a Pertronix unit will be very loose as the diameter of the E cam is smaller then the R cams. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by Bud View Post
                    If an E cam is used in an R series distributor, using dual points is no problem, but the reluctor for a Pertronix unit will be very loose as the diameter of the E cam is smaller then the R cams. Bud
                    So can a "P" cam that's meant for an R-1 be used in a single point Prestolite Dist.? I know the overall centrifugal advance would be less but for someone that wants a Pertronix unit, would it fit properly? Thanks

regards,
                    Jay

Comment

Pertronix doesn't make a conversion kit for the Prestolite single point distributor. Even though you change the cam, the Pertronix unit won't work because of the single point breaker plate. Bud

Comment

Thanks for the input Harry (Bud), I was waiting for you to chime in. All good information.

Allen
                        1964 GT Hawk
                        PSMCDR 2014
                        Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                        PSMCDR 2013
                        Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Working...
                        X