Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

63 Avanti windshield wiper switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 63 Avanti windshield wiper switch

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for my 1963 wiper switch?
    I had a TV reporter out the other day & it was raining while driving the car, he turned on the wipers... fine... but when he shut them off, they parked STRAIGHT UP. Now they always park with the blades pointing up. They have always worked fine, I am suspecting something in my switch rather than the motor. I had them on & off several times, the sweep fine in all speeds, but "park" straight up now.
    I don't really want to tear the switch apart without testing it with a meter, but cannot find a schematic for it anywhere.
    Thanks,

That should be due to the parking switch plate on the wiper motor. It should not be in the switch. I haven't adjusted the one on the Avanti but I'm sure someone will give details.
    Rob

Comment

The schematic for the wiper is in the Avanti Workshop Manual, the last page. Also check the ground as it will make the wipers act irratic if not properly grounded. There was a service letter F-1963-14 discussing bad grounding at the switch knob as it attaches to the dash. If the escutcheon does not make good contart to the dash face it may not park properly. Paint or the wood overlay must not interfere with metal contact. Good luck.

Comment

The last page in my manual is Climatizer cabling, page 4. The last body page (where it talks of the wipers) is page 40 & no drawing.
        I always thought the "park adjustment" was only needed when installing the motor, etc.
        I have my switch out & will double check grounding when re-installing it.

Comment

The Climatizer section should have pages 5-6-7 also. The fold-out wiring diagram should be in section 'D' near the front of the manual.

Comment

The wiring diagram does not show the details inside the switch. Can someone send me a copy of the wiring for the switch? dulymiller AT gmail.com (gotta type it, ... (keeps hackers from stealing email addresses unless they work for it.)
            THANKS

Comment

BUMP.... anyone have the last few pages of an Avanti workshop manual they could copy and send to me?
              please
              address in note above.
              THANKS, Duane

Comment

When the switch is all the way to the left... it is in slow mode... a little to the right & it "parks (with the blades straight up)", more to the right & the speed up. It must be in the switch.... HELP!
                I now have the blades off and a hose clamp around a post to keep track of rotation.

Comment

Duane, from what I see on the wiring diagram hopefully the back of the switch has the terminals marked. Going across from left to right the far left terminal marked F2 is for circuit 53, yellow wire, "field ( shunt) "Grd" for running to wiper switch". Just down from it to the right is F1 for circuit 54, red wire, "field (shunt) "Bat" for running to wiper switch. Above & to the right is terminal A for circuit 51, black wire, wiper armature-field (series) to wiper switch . To the right of that is terminal P for circuit 52, blue wire, wiper park switch to wiper switch (depressed parking) & below that one is terminal B for circuit 56, purple wire, wiper circuit breaker to wiper switch. Hope this helps!
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

The problem is not the switch...its the wiper motor.

Chris.

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help on this... still ain't got it solved yet, the arms are off and it isn't raining, tomorrow I get to take an old Studebaker dealer for a ride in it.

Comment

Working...
                      X