Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

GT chrome headliner bows into a '53?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: GT chrome headliner bows into a '53?

Hey guys and gals-- has anyone ever tried to use those pretty chrome GT Hawk headliner bows in an earlier Hawk or '53-'55? If they'd work, I think they would look good in the Starliner I'm building. And if so, anybody have some nice ones available? Thanks!
    1950 Commander Land Cruiser
    1951 Champion Business Coupe
    1951 Commander Starlight
    1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
    1953 Champion Starlight
    1953 Commander Starliner
    1953 2R5
    1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
    1957 Silver Hawk
    1957 3E5 Pick-Up
    1959 Silver Hawk
    1961 Hawk
    1962 Cruiser 4 speed
    1963 Daytona Convertible
    1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
    1965 Cruiser
    1970 Avanti

Well, they are entirely different roofs and they won't work.
    Now, having said that, with the proper thought, tools and resources, anything is possible.
    Your vision will require redesign, alteration and fabrication of the bows, as well as the headliner itself; then, having your re-worked bows chromed!
    That's the sort of thing they were doing all the time in the design studios.
    I for one would like to see your results!
    Last edited by rockne10; 05-15-2014, 01:59 AM.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

You will need at least two full sets of bows to start with and be prepared to cut and join some of those moulds. Then it will work but its not easy.

Chris.

Comment

I have lots of set if you want to try.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

For what its worth, I have had a mismatched set of those GT bows holding up the headliner of my "64 Cruiser for years.
          Does not look bad, and was my "fix" after the hidden headliner bows blew down (think of an inside out umbrella) during a run down the highway with all of the windows opened.

Comment

Originally posted by skyway View Post
            was my "fix" after the hidden headliner bows blew down (think of an inside out umbrella) during a run down the highway with all of the windows opened.
            The headliner on my 54 wagon fell down on my and my passenger's heads one day on a long drive home. We laughed about it all the way home. The cotton thread went bad in the otherwise good vinyl headliner.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I had a Packard Hawk that had the stainless bows and it looked very good and couldn't tell it wasn't factory. I don't think it would be hard at all to make GT bows work on a regular hawk roof. The front 2/3's is an identical stamping.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Yup. B

Comment

Working...
                X