66 swap from v8 to 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 66 swap from v8 to 6

I'm interested in swapping a v8 car to a 6 since I have a couple of these engines lying around. People have told me that this will devalue the car but the condition of the car has already done that. I'm looking for the radiator support and whatever information is needed.

mike

You've given no info on what the car is, engines are, or your location....??

I'd bet the rad. support is the same for a 6 or 8 cyl. car on any model; beyond that you'd have to give us some idea of the details.

Watch out, some will tell you you're going the wrong way- but there's nothing wrong with making use of a 6 you've got on hand- they can have issues, but are not NEARLY as bad as some will try to convince you!

Give us the details and we'll be glad to help!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bams50

You've given no info on what the car is, engines are, or your location....??

I'd bet the rad. support is the same for a 6 or 8 cyl. car on any model; beyond that you'd have to give us some idea of the details.

Watch out, some will tell you you're going the wrong way- but there's nothing wrong with making use of a 6 you've got on hand- they can have issues, but are not NEARLY as bad as some will try to convince you!

Give us the details and we'll be glad to help!

Parish, central NY 13131

Bob, the original poster indicated in his title (and nic, apparently) that he has a '66 Stude. Yes the rad support is different, as is the hood latch panel. The Chevy six cylinder block is so long, they had to make room for it.

Mike, I wouldn't worry about devaluing your car, unless it happens to be an exceptionally nice Cruiser or Daytona sport coupe. Your best bet would be to find a '65 or '66 six-cylinder parts car, or to deal with someone who has a parts car available to strip. If the car is manual shift, there may be clutch linkage parts required, and I do believe the six and eight cylinder throttle linkage is different, too. Having access to a parts car means one-stop shopping

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I have all the parts you need. There are several things unique to this car, because of the length of the Chevy 6. I am going from Chevy 6cyl to Stude V8. I have an offy 3 carb manifold and an offy aluminum valve cover if you want to dress up the 6. I even have a 3 speed OD if interested. The radiator support can be made from a V8 unit, that is what I did when mine was messed up. Where are you from? I am in Central IL.
        1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Good, Gord; I learned something new! I did say "I bet" it's the same[:I]

I know he said a 66, but not what model; I assume it doesn't matter in this case.

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Considering how cheap you can get a GM V8 for, I dont see why you want
            to swap in a 6 ... even if you have rows of them laying around. There
            will be issues to deal with, like the front springs being too "strong".

Does the car not have an engine in it right now? If it does, why not
            just rebuild the GM V8, its quite cheap, and the original 283 is nice.
            If economy is what you want, then drop in an HEI from a 70's GM car,
            and a TH700-R4 from a late 80s GM car. Power and Mpg. Sweet.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

It's a commander. v8 overdrive. I'm preparing for a 30mile one way commute. I've got 2 250's a 194 and a 307 that I could use just thought it might be fun to use the 6.

mike

Comment

Hehe ... I've been doing a 55 mile one way commute for 8 years. Thats
                why when I post up I drove my Avanti to work .. its s BIG deal.

Drop in an LT1/T-56 and get 25-28 mpg. I dont think you will see a
                HUGE difference in MPG between the older V8 and straight 6. No where
                near what trouble it is to make the swap. Just pay the piper.[B)]

Tom

quote:Originally posted by nc66
                I'm preparing for a 30mile one way commute.
                '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
                I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Just an FYI. I have the 194 six in my Cruiser and it's NOT very good on gas. About the best you can expect would be 15-16 mpg. Of course, your mileage may vary

Mark Anderson
                  1965 Cruiser
                  http://home.alltel.net/anderm
                  Home of the Cruiser Registry

Comment

After putting a '66 "stude" six in my lark and working for 6 years, I finally achieved 16-17 miles per gallon with auto trans in a 22 mile commute everyday (L.A. freeway).

Doug

Comment

Hey Doug; welcome to our little corner of cyberspace! Glad to have another Westerner with us! This is Rich. Gahlbeck up in the Great Northwest!

I've STILL got that '63 OHV 6 out of your '63 Lark, it's waiting to be needed & rebuilt, we have mostly V-8's and have not "needed" it yet!

Are you gonna be outta there too when you retire with all that Airline cash like Jon Meyer?

In my case, if I put all my Northrop Aircraft and The Boeing Co. money that I MIGHT get next year, in one bucket I might be able to buy a loaf of bread each month!

quote:Originally posted by doug

After putting a '66 "stude" six in my lark and working for 6 years, I finally achieved 16-17 miles per gallon with auto trans in a 22 mile commute everyday (L.A. freeway).Doug
                      StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Long time no-see Rich. I'll probably be here for a while. I'm waiting for the price of Studebakers go through the roof then sell out and buy an island.

Doug

Comment

I have just completed a swap from Chevy 6 cyl. to Chevy 350 V-8 in my 66 Daytona Sport Sedan. I have all the 6 cyl parts left over (as others do). I purchased a V-8 parts car and stripped out all the V-8 stuff that was different from my 6 cyl. I have the front rad support, front upper air panel, throttle linkage (gas pedal, etc.) sitting around here.
                          The 6 cyl engine was a dog, and cracked. We drove to Sheridan, WY and back to WA. and got 11 mpg!! Hope the V-8 does better than that! (3:31 TT, auto trans)

Brian K. Curtis

Comment

Working...
                          X