1960 Lark Fender (driver side)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Lark Fender (driver side)

I have just purchsed a NOS front outer fender, fender apron as well as wind deflector for my 1960 Lark. Does anyone know how to get these pieces properly aligned for welding? I have a bent up fender that I am replacing and can't use it for a guide as it is too damaged. I assume that there must have been a template or jig at some time to allow the assembly line to weld these 3 pieces together at the factory. Any ideas on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

OK, first, bolt the inner fender to the cowl, snug the bolts, but not too tight. Bolt the fender to the cowl, again, snug, bolt up the header panel, snug. Now, start by aligning your fender to door gap and tighten those bolts. align the header panel to fender, get all your lines and gaps where you are happy with them. Last, move and adjust the inner fender to where it lines up with the fender. Now, the fun part! Once you are happy with the way the inner fender lines up, and the holes on the cowl should be about centered, (they are slotted) use sheet metal screws to hold it in place for welding. Then take it apart, drill 1/4" holes on the lip of the fender, and plug weld it with a mig welder, or if you have access to a resistance spot welder, don't drill the holes, and use that. EITHER way, BEFORE you weld, buy a can of weld through primer (spray bomb) and coat both sides of the parts to be welded! you will not be able to prime them after welding! The weld through primer will help replace the zinc in the metal that gets burned up when welding. Also, one last thought, count the number of spot welds that are holding the two pieces together, and replace with the same amount!!

Hope this helps

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

No doubt,there were jigs at the factory. No doubt, they are long gone.

My suggestion would be to assemble and bolt to the cowl, radiator support and grille panel, align and clamp them, then tack them together. Once they are in a stable position you can unbolt them and add additional welds.
      Hope someone else has a better suggestion

Brad Johnson
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10,
      '51 Commander Starlight,
      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Thanks for the great instructions. It looks like I am in for quite a bit of work, but it will be worth it in the longrun.

Comment

Yes to all of the above, plus, when doing the alignment process on the panel gaps, do it without the car on jackstands. The frame is capable of flexing enough that those carefully aligned panels will be off when the car is set back on its wheels and tires.[xx(] Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
          Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
          Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Good point Dan, Doing collision work since the mid 70's I just automatically don't align panels while on jack stands!
            When I did my 62 ragtop, I did all the welding and fitting on a frame rack. It's nice tio be able to use the shop tools! <G>

Jim
            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
            their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
            X