Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Casting stamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Casting stamp

I'm having difficulty identifying what block I have. The casting number is 535601 and the heads are 535976. Any help is appreciated . thanks

I assume it is a V8 since you say "heads", , on the front right top of the engine block there is a flat space where the serial number should be. It most likely will need to be scraped and cleaned to read it. Post that and someone will tell you what you have.
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Your heads are around 56-60 with 7.5 compression. I think they were used on the 57 hawk with blower.

Comment

The RAISED numbers you found are not the Serial Number, that is STAMPED into the Block which tells much more about what was inside (Cubic Inches) the Block when New than the generic casting number which is always the same for a given group of years until a design change was made.

I can tell you that it is definitely a pre late '62 and not a "Full Flow" Block.

Those Heads also could be from a Truck, they have lower Compression than most Cars.

Here is all of the V8 Serial Number info, and at the bottom of the page a Picture of where to look.

This is accessed from our Main Page on the Resources dropdown link to Technical Tips Specs and Data.

http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/V8EngineID.asp
        Last edited by StudeRich; 04-28-2014, 12:02 AM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Skip does make note that the V-8 engine number in '51-'52 is stamped at the rear of the block, passenger corner; '53 and later is at the front of the block, driver side.
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
            Skip does make note that the V-8 engine number in '51-'52 is stamped at the rear of the block, passenger corner; '53 and later is at the front of the block, driver side.
            Casting 535601 is a '55 or newer 224, 259 or 289 with the Serial Number in front.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
              X