V8 neg battery cable attachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 neg battery cable attachment

.....I can't seem to find the thread on attaching the neg. (-) battery cable to the later V8's with PS. How does the attachment go ? Does the ground cable attach to the head or through a washer, pump bracket, pump washer or nut ??? I think the right way aligns the pump with the crank pulleys...but which way ?

The large flat washer covers the large hole in the P/S bracket, most installations have another one BEHIND it and that aligns the pump (squares it) to the crank/fan pulleys. The batt. cable goes on last, so as to NOT affect the pump!

I hope this is what you are asking?

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

When we got our 64 Cruiser (289 V8 & Power Steering), the ground strap was very old and had been there for a very long time. Whether or not it was the original I don't know, could have been? It was bolted to the forward most intake manifold bolt on the drivers side. Seemed like a logical location to me so I attached a new replacement cable there too.

Dean Croft
      Roseburg,OR

CLEM
      Dean

CLEM

Comment

Wrong location, but if it works for you, and won't be judged, go for it![^]

quote:Originally posted by Clem64

When we got our 64 Cruiser (289 V8 & Power Steering), the ground strap was...cut It was bolted to the forward most intake manifold bolt on the drivers side.
        StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

jackb, I'm glad you asked the question. I'm just about to the point of correctly connecting the battery on our '63 GT R1. It has power steering. Rich, thanks for the answer.

Perry
          '23 Special Six,
          '50 Business Champ,
          '50 Starlight Champ,
          '60 Lark droptop,
          '63 GT R1
          Perry
          \'50 Business Champion
          \'50 Starlight Champion
          \'60 Lark Convertible,
          \'63 GT R1,
          \'67 Triumph TR4A