Newbie Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Questions

1. My recently acquired '63 Lark seems to sit a bit low in the back. Does anyone know the correct height the rear bumper should be above the ground?

2. What is the correct oil to use in the 3 speed manual transmission?

3. Correct oil in the rear differential? What oil if it's a TT differential?

If, it is NOT a station Wagon, you should be able to see all of the wheel, all of the tire sidewall and most of it's shoulder to the tread. There is no specified height, it varys quite at bit with tire size etc.

My '63 Lark 6 2dr. Sedan with less than 1/4 tank fuel, and a spare tire & wheel with P205X75R15 radials is 17 in. bumper to ground. If you have a 4dr. it has the 113 in. wheelbase, it will usually sit a bit lower (maybe 1/2 in.) than my 2dr. with 109 in. wheelbase, also a V-8 may sit a little bit lower in rear, and bit more in front, remember the more collapsed your FRONT springs are, the higher the rear looks!

Rear Axle: is 80W-90 Wt. GL5. IF it's a TT & fully drained, add the limited slip friction modifier (1) 4 OZ bottle. GM, Ford or aftermarket Auto Parts Store item.

Transmission: GL4 85W-90 Wt. Gear Oil, NAPA should have GL1 which is preferred, but NOT essential. Just DO NOT use the generic GL4/GL5 or GL5 as Quaker State, Valvoline, Pennzoil makes!

All "good" auto parts stores have this stuff, nothing exotic here!

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

quote:Originally posted by CTLark

My recently acquired '63 Lark seems to sit a bit low in the back.
      The back isn't too low...the front is too high! [)]

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

[/quote]
        The back isn't too low...the front is too high! [)]
        [/quote]

Amen to what Dick said. Drop the front 'til it drags, then drive it 'til it doesn't rub anymore.[8D]

Jerry Forrester
        Be sure to check out my eBay store
        http://stores.ebay.com/CHROME-CHROME-CHROME_
        for your shiny Stude stuff
        Jerry Forrester
        Forrester's Chrome
        Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

CT, don't pay any attention to these clowns, they don't know any better, they're modified Stude. Hotroders!! [V][V][}] For gosh sakes, what do they know about correct?!!

I like to be able to hit a pothole or bump and NOT crash my front stone pan! My '54 Starliner is "jacked up" in front, for weight transfer at the drags, not "in the weeds" like Dick's is!! [:0][^]

AND it looks more 1960's street/strip correct than theirs!! [:0]

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

CT, don't pay any attention to these clowns, they don't know any better,
            Ah, Rich...you're just jealous! [:0].

I'll take you for a fast ride tomorrow. You'll NEVER go back to those boring stockers .

Just remember..."Anybody can restore one. It takes a real man to cut one up!".

(I'd better shut up now. Rich is my #1 parts supplier )

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote: CT, don't pay any attention to these clowns, they don't know any better, they're modified Stude. Hotroders!! For gosh sakes, what do they know about correct?!!

Your throttle return springs blue?

Me myself I like adapting old tech with new tech.

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
              1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
              [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
              [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
              [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
              [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
              1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Well it's been fun, I just hope we didn't give our new friend CT, the wrong idea! After all, the poor guy just wanted someone to tell him if he needed new springs! NOT a whole new attitude!! [:0]

StudeRich
                Studebakers Northwest
                Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich

Comment

StudeRich observes.... "After all, the poor guy just wanted someone to tell him if he needed new springs! NOT a whole new attitude!!"

That's the risk you take with this bunch![}] Damned Hot Rotters!

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

We may end up needing a 'Hot Rod Heaven' forum in here soon...[}][:0]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

We may end up needing a 'Hot Rod Heaven' forum in here soon...[}][:0]
                      I'd MUCH rather tease the guys that lean towards stockers (only) than have our own (little) sandbox to play in .

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

[/quote]
                        I'd MUCH rather tease the guys that lean towards stockers (only) than have our own (little) sandbox to play in .
                        [/quote]

I'm not the wordsmith that Dick is, so I'll just say Amen.

Jerry Forrester
                        Be sure to check out my eBay store
                        http://stores.ebay.com/CHROME-CHROME-CHROME_
                        for your shiny Stude stuff
                        Jerry Forrester
                        Forrester's Chrome
                        Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Hey CT
                          Congrats on your new to you 63 Lark. All old leaf springs sag. I have a 63 Lark & didn't like the way it sat. Especially when I loaded it up with kids & supplies to go camping, skiing, vacation, ect. I didn't measure it before I put a set of used front coils & 6 leaf spring rear packs out of a 63 wagon. I made a class 3 hitch for it also. I'm running a little bit lower profile tire for the drag strip 215/65 15. The rear bumper at the center of the bolts are 17" with some stuff in the trunk and 3/4's tank of gas. I hope this helps.

Gordon

Comment

Working...
                          X