what is part # 303542

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is part # 303542

It came off of my 1953 Commander Hardtop and goes on the top of the door. The part is wider, shorter, and indented on the front inside about 5/8" and totally different than the part on my Champion Starlite door top. The part has 303542 LH or RH stamped on it.

I can not find the # listed in the Body Parts Catalog.

However, I have found 2304-30 in the catalog which shows it fits Champ. and Comm. and other models in that door location. If it fits both models in the body parts catalog, then why is it styled differently, and no "NOTE" is in the catalog.

Have you seen this also ?

Was Commander trim that much different than the Champion ? Other than the engine what are the other Commander differences ?

Brad

The stamped (or cast) numbers on Studebaker parts rarely coincided with the actual part number in the parts catalogs. The top of door molding on a '53 Hardtop is PN 304020 right and 304021 left. They are the same for both Commanders and Champions.

The top of door molding for '53 Starlights is different (narrower cross section). 304018 right and 304019 left.

2304-30 is not a part number. It is the illustration number. Really has no significance except to help you cross reference the illustration to the correct part number in the parts manual.

Differences other than the engine between '53 Commander Starliners and Champion Starliners include...

brakes
    transmission
    rear end
    front springs
    gauge cluster
    "V8" or "Circled S" on the rear quarter panel
    "Champion" or "Commander" script on the left grill bar

(probably a few more)

The chrome and stainless trim was was the same for '53 Commander and Champion Starliners. All were Regal models.

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

We ARE talking about a STARLINER Hardtop right? I see you mentioned Starlite!

It IS strange, most body mouldings unlike mechanical parts do have the same casting number as the part number, but I would not count on that being an "always" situation! There were more than (1) vendor of these castings.

I note that they made a fastener change so there are "early" and "late" parts: 304020 & 021 and 306516 & 517 for the Hardtop, could these be for the Starlight Coupe "C" body?

I see that '53,'54 are are different than '55 and C3 are different than C5, there's a BUNCH of door mouldings for these, and it isn't the Comm./Champ. that differed, it's the trim level!

quote:Originally posted by bradnree

The part is wider, shorter, and indented on the front inside about 5/8" and totally different than the part on my Champion Starlite door top. The part has 303542 LH or RH stamped on it.
      Thinking about this later, I am thinking...WHAT IS THE PROBLEM? If it came off of the car, it can go back on! If the quality is poor, you cannot find another, so it must be repaired!

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Yes it came off of the car and I gave it a trial fit but all holes have been filled as most everything has been "shaved" on the body.
        To identify it and mark it led me to what is it.
        This must be from another vendor.
        This is a pot metal piece.
        Maybe somebody in SDC may need this item.
        BRAD
        quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

We ARE talking about a STARLINER Hardtop right? I see you mentioned Starlite!

It IS strange, most body mouldings unlike mechanical parts do have the same casting number as the part number, but I would not count on that being an "always" situation! There were more than (1) vendor of these castings.

I note that they made a fastener change so there are "early" and "late" parts: 304020 & 021 and 306516 & 517 for the Hardtop, could these be for the Starlight Coupe "C" body?

I see that '53,'54 are are different than '55 and C3 are different than C5, there's a BUNCH of door mouldings for these, and it isn't the Comm./Champ. that differed, it's the trim level!

The part is wider, shorter, and indented on the front inside about 5/8" and totally different than the part on my Champion Starlite door top. The part has 303542 LH or RH stamped on it.
        Thinking about this later, I am thinking...WHAT IS THE PROBLEM? If it came off of the car, it can go back on! If the quality is poor, you cannot find another, so it must be repaired!

StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA

Comment

1953 Starliner Hardtop
          I may put all of the trim back on if I can find/collect what is needed.

Brad

Comment

Maybe somebody in SDC may need this item.
            Brad,
            That top of door chromed pot metal for Starliners is almost impossible to find and expensive when you do find it. If you don't put it back on the car, I'm sure you can find a good home for it [^].

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
            X