'37 President Planar suspension spring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: '37 President Planar suspension spring question

I've been wondering about this for years...The first photo shows the front spring on my '37 President before disassembly. The spring looks like it has a reverse curve to it. The car has always ridden well and sits nice and straight, but does this spring look like it needs work? Does anyone have a photo of what the spring should look like under load? The spring under my Planar-equipped '37 Coupe-Express looks straight across under load. The second picture was taken during disassembly and the frame is turned upside down. The spring shows a curve in this picture that I would expect.Click image for larger version

Name:	presidentdisassemblyjan122014 018.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1742821Click image for larger version

Name:	37presidentdisassemblysuspension 038.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1742822 Thanks. Tom

The car has always ridden well and sits nice and straight, .........?

Great reasons to leave it alone.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Looks totally normal to me. Unless you put the frame back in the car upside down I think you are OK

Comment

A suggestion..
        Go to a spring shop and get a new center bolt (they are generic by size and length).
        Get one that is at least 6" longer than the stock bolt you are removing.
        Remove the spring assembly from the frame.
        Use a large heavy C-clamp and clamp the spring and then remove the center bolt.
        (if the nut won't come off, use a grinder, and not a torch)
        Loosen the C-clamp to allow the spring to uncompress.

Then you can clean, wire brush, and prepare each leaf.
        Put a rust treatment between the leaf springs.
        I would hesitate against using grease (as some would suggest), as you would need to wrap the springs afterwards.
        Reassemble your springs and install the new center bolt.
        Use the C-clamp to help compress the spring (don't do it all with the center bolt & nut)
        Cut the excess length of the new center bolt off.
        Paint the outside of the spring to prevent rust.

Reinstall in the car and drive it with impunity for another half century.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Tom; Looked at both of my 37s this am, yes its snowing again, the Dictator arms look that they are not as reversed arced as yours while the presidents lower control are parallel to the to the ground. If you look at the parts book you will see there are several different springs listed that have different number of plies. I have several extra front springs you may have but you might also have to change the two upper spring stops. When I rebuild springs first I sand blast them and then grind them smooth, then inspect them for wear. Then I take my leafs to a powder coater for paint. I only use an industrial coater as I found smaller facilities aren,t able do the proper curing. I then paint the leafs with a product called slip-plate, a product that dries hard and does not attract dirt. I have done this to several cars with great success. Both my 37s with planar suspensions are great riding cars, far better then my 55 speedster, no contest. Jerry Kurtz

Comment

Working...
          X