Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaker Can? Avanti Honduras Maroon?

Hi!
    A new project for me. While at the SW Zone Meet, I scored myself a 1/24 scale model '63 Avanti, in the original box. My long term plan is to ruin it's value by taking off the shrink wrap and build it. Glue and paint not included.

here is my question.
    I know that the Studebaker vendors sell shaker cans of Avanti colors, but they only have "Red", not the metallic "Honduras Maroon" which is the color of my "Project A" you have been sporadically hearing about.

quick question.
    what is the closest Duplicolor, or other to that old color (which was also used for Corvette '60-62)
    Remember, this is for the 1/25 scale model. Any can will be too much paint, so it would be silly to get some made up.

Terry, North Texas
    1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065
    (in stage 1 resto "Project A")
    http://sterkel.org/avanti
    1985 Kubota L2202(Diesel)
    1999 Toyota rice burner
    1986 Ford 150 Long Bed

quote: Yes it should be Honduras Maroon. There was no actual Red on Avanti

That's kinda wrong, 63's, and most 64 could be painted Avanti red,(Studebaker's name) the last few 64's could be ordered with Avanti Maroon:

"The 1963 Studebaker Avanti colors were: Avanti Black (P-6330), Avanti White (P-6331), Avanti Turquoise (P-6332), Avanti Gold (P-6333), Avanti Red (P-6334), and Avanti Gray (P-6335). Avanti Gray replaced Avanti Black after complaints about "waves" in the fiberglass body panels. Avanti Black was reinstated when the problem was solved. The 1964 Studebaker Avanti colors were the same as 1963 and Avanti Maroon (P-6436) was added near the end of production."

The correct 63 Avanti red for 63's is available from SI.

JDP/Maryland
    64 R2 GT cost to date $55046.57
    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
    63 Lark 2 door
    58 Packard HT
    56 Golden Hawk
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I would think if S.I. advertises it as "Avanti Red", that it IS '63 Maroon, because that is it's correct name!

Yes it should be Honduras Maroon. There was no actual Red on Avantis. [:0]

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Kinda wrong? I don't think so John! [V]
        Statement #1: The man asked for Corvette Honduras Maroon to get the correct "Maroon" for his '63 Avanti model. I told him what Studebaker (and S.I.) call "Avanti Red" is actually the correct Maroon (as on the Corvette)

Statement #2: I said there was no "RED" as in actual red color, fire engine red non-metallic solid color RED, -also a correct statement!

Of course I know that late '64 Avantis had that ugly BURGANDY color paint, they may have called it Maroon, but it does not matter because we are NOT talking about the '64 Burgandy color, and it isn't Red either! That fact does NOT make my statements wrong, still no actual RED!

quote:Originally posted by JDP

quote: Yes it should be Honduras Maroon. There was no actual Red on Avanti
        That's kinda wrong, 63's, and most 64 could be painted Avanti red,(Studebaker's name) the last few 64's could be ordered with Avanti Maroon
        StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

sigh,
          sorry to start the fuss.
          I have an early '63 R2, and I bought a paint chip sheet a while back.
          When I get back, I will check the chip sheet, but I think that the metallic "red" was really metallic "maroon".

will get back to you.

P.S.
          this definitely has been a source of much confusion over the decades.
          "Project A" has at least 4 types of "red" on it, even after compounding to even the oxidation field. I do not want to make it 5.

Terry, North Texas
          1963 Avanti R2, 63SR1065
          (in stage 1 resto "Project A")
          http://sterkel.org/avanti
          1985 Kubota L2202(Diesel)
          1999 Toyota rice burner
          1986 Ford 150 Long Bed

Comment

I thought you were were saying there was no real Avanti red, now I see you meant the Avanti red was sort of a maroon, but not the later Avanti maroon. Just a matter of semitics. I was further confused since he was asking for paint for a 63 model, which SI does in fact stock and calls it Avanti red. BTW, here's my old Avanti red/Corvette maroon car.

JDP/Maryland
            64 R2 GT cost to date $55046.57
            64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
            63 Lark 2 door
            58 Packard HT
            56 Golden Hawk
            52 Starliner
            51 Commander
            39 Coupe express
            39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment