Parts books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts books

Just another hint I'm reminded of while putting my "kit car" 64 GT togeather, use the parts books. Trying to restore a Studebaker properly without the parts books is a exercise in frustration. The blow up illustration show you where and how the part is mounted and what parts to use. Just today I was installing the radiator support and the parts book told me I needed two 5/16 fine thread bolts, 5 inches long, a spacer, flat and lock washers. Every time you install a part, check for all the correct mounting hardware. Most every car I see, has missing or the wrong hardware.

JDP/Maryland
    64 R2 GT cost to date $55046.57
    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
    63 Lark 2 door
    58 Packard HT
    56 Golden Hawk
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason these bolts are 5 inches are because the also mount the sway bar mounts on the bottom side of the frame rails, right?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

They have to go all the way through the frame. Now, please tell me I can install the radiator support with the front clip on the car the way I got it.

JDP/Maryland
      64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
      63 Lark 2 door
      58 Packard HT
      56 Golden Hawk
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander
      39 Coupe express
      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

My '61 support went on after the fenders,but the fenders were loose,to move outward a little for clearance.

LaSalle,Il
        61Hawk
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by JDP

Just another hint I'm reminded of while putting my "kit car" 64 GT togeather, use the parts books. Trying to restore a Studebaker properly without the parts books is a exercise in frustration. The blow up illustration show you where and how the part is mounted and what parts to use. Just today I was installing the radiator support and the parts book told me I needed two 5/16 fine thread bolts, 5 inches long, a spacer, flat and lock washers. Every time you install a part, check for all the correct mounting hardware. Most every car I see, has missing or the wrong hardware.
          That (frt. fender/radiator support) interface is exactly the point where my '56 GH restro project has come to a grinding hault!!!

May I ask which "Parts Book" are you using? In the Studebaker 1955-1958 Chassis Parts Catalog it only calls out the parts ...does not have an illustration to help determine how everything is supposed to go together in that area.

TIA

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

You correct about the lack of illustrations for the support, but fortunately I have both a 56J and N8's 55 coupe in my driveway.

JDP/Maryland
            64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
            63 Lark 2 door
            58 Packard HT
            56 Golden Hawk
            52 Starliner
            51 Commander
            39 Coupe express
            39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by A1956GoldenHawk
              May I ask which "Parts Book" are you using? In the Studebaker 1955-1958 Chassis Parts Catalog it only calls out the parts ...does not have an illustration to help determine how everything is supposed to go together in that area.

TIA
              At least Stude parts books specified which hardware to use. Unless the item is unique to the application, GM parts books don't even list hardware. They had a separate book that listed part numbers for all their nuts, bolts, washerrs, etc -- but it doesn't tell you where they are used. Nowadays, of course, they don't even print their books in hard copy anymore.

Skip Lackie
              Washington DC
              Skip Lackie

Comment

You correct about the lack of illustrations for the support, but fortunately I have both a 56J and N8's 55 coupe in my driveway.
                That is great news!!!

Is there a way to know for sure the 56J and N8's 55 coupe are "unmolested factory" versions with regard to that specific interface area??? If they are, I and others on the 56Jyahoo Group (maybe others on this forum as well) would love to see pictures or at least a good sketch of that whole area.

Again, thanks in advance!

Comment

Mine is not correct as I installed the GT Hawk sway bar on the front, so it should actually look pretty close to what JP is looking for, although the core support itself is a different part (shorter.)

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

No real need for a drawing, it's not rocket science. The 5 inch, 5/16 fine thread bolt goes though the frame at the bottom with a flat washer against the frame. It has a stack of shim washers on the bolt (or a spacer) where it exits the frame, then goes through the radiator support, the front fender flange, and is secured with a flat washer, lock washer and nut.

JDP/Maryland
                    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                    63 Lark 2 door
                    58 Packard HT
                    56 Golden Hawk
                    52 Starliner
                    51 Commander
                    39 Coupe express
                    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Skip Lackie
                      At least Stude parts books specified which hardware to use. Unless the item is unique to the application, GM parts books don't even list hardware. They had a separate book that listed part numbers for all their nuts, bolts, washerrs, etc -- but it doesn't tell you where they are used. Nowadays, of course, they don't even print their books in hard copy anymore.
                      All good points, Skip!!!

Something else I discovered about Chassis Parts Catalogs with a little help from SASCO. I was trying to find out exactly how a 56 K body is to be attached to the frame. There are [u]NO</u> body-frame interface illustrations in the [u]55-58 Chassis Parts Catalog </u>...but there [u]IS</u> a very good illustration to use for reference in the [u]59-64 Chassis Parts Catalog</u>.

Comment

OK, it's a 3/8's fine bolt, not 5/16's. BTW, if the body shop puts the front clip on without the support, you need to pull the side grills and lower scope to get the support in and pry the fender front open about a 1/4 inch to sneak it in..

JDP/Maryland
                        64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                        63 Lark 2 door
                        58 Packard HT
                        56 Golden Hawk
                        52 Starliner
                        51 Commander
                        39 Coupe express
                        39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the reason these bolts are 5 inches are because the also mount the sway bar mounts on the bottom side of the frame rails, right?
                          You're right! I've got mine off right now for wirebrushing and repainting. Which reminds me, where did I leave those things? [:0]

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                          '63 F2/Lark Standard
                          http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
                          www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

No real need for a drawing, it's not rocket science. The 5 inch, 5/16 fine thread bolt goes though the frame at the bottom with a flat washer against the frame. It has a stack of shim washers on the bolt (or a spacer) where it exits the frame, then goes through the radiator support, the front fender flange, and is secured with a flat washer, lock washer and nut.

Comment

Working...
                            X