Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Avanti r2

Hello Everyone.

Took my Avanti R2 out for a spin today. It was a fun ride until I found out my top speed was around 60-65mph. The trans is shifting properly,but something is holding it back. I have a Mallory Dist and was think of re-curing it to a R2 Spec. Do you think that will work? I bought the kit at York this weekend. What springs should I use. Thank you again for all your help.
    jerry defilippi

At what RPM?

Have you confirmed the throttle linkage fully opens the carburetor butterflies?

What ignition advance are you seeing at the RPM?
    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by jerry1 View Post
      Hello Everyone.

Took my Avanti R2 out for a spin today. It was a fun ride until I found out my top speed was around 60-65mph. The trans is shifting properly,but something is holding it back. I have a Mallory Dist and was think of re-curing it to a R2 Spec. Do you think that will work? I bought the kit at York this weekend. What springs should I use. Thank you again for all your help.
      Sounds like a fuel starvation problem. Could be a clogged filter, a non-vented gas cap, a fuel line smashed almost closed (happened to me once- like to never figured it out).
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Or, fuel line rusting closed, from the inside out.

Comment

Although rare and much more likely with catalytic converters, check for an exhaust restriction-----rodent nests, a muffler or glass pack with collapsed internals will cause similar symptoms
          Last edited by ed ellis; 03-10-2014, 02:28 AM.
          ed ellis

sigpic

the "SUPER COUPE"

Comment

Thank you. I will keep trying.
            jerry defilippi

Comment

Rancid fuel?

Comment

Unless you have one or more brakes dragging, I think that your problem is in the fuel system - fuel lines (either blocked or leaking air in), fuel pump, blockage in tank or line, fuel more than three months old.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

If you haven't found it yet, check for leaking intake manifold gaskets. Usually, but not always, you can hear that as a funny hiss or whistle. WD-40 sprayed around the runners should provide results if that is your problem. Spray it around your carb, also, as carb gaskets have a habit of drying out and leaking after so much sitting.

Comment

Working...
                  X