Battery cable wire size??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery cable wire size??

The po of my '62 Hawk needed more room in the engine compartment and moved the battery to the trunk. He then ran 1/0 wire for the +12v to the starter. He ran 4 ga wire from the negative post to the frame in front of the rear axle. He then ran 4 ga wire from the engine block down to the front of the frame.

Is the 1/0 wire big enough, just right, or overkill??
    Should the negative wire be of the same size and run all the way to the engine block??

thanks for any ideas, comments, suggestions.
    Parky

62 GT Hawk

The 1/0 should be fine, but you need to use that same size for that battery negative-to-ground cable! At 4Ga., it's TOO SMALL in my estimation![xx(]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mr. Biggs,
      Thanks for your reply.
      I agree that the negative cable should be bigger.

Do you think the negative cable should run all the way to the engine block???

thanks
      Parky

62 GT Hawk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by parky

Mr. Biggs,

Do you think the negative cable should run all the way to the engine block???
        Not necessary, IMHO. If you have a good connection to the frame back at the battery. The frame is a heavier gauge than the 1/0 cable that would replace it [^]. I wired my '54 hot rod that way and it has worked fine for 7 years and 30,000 miles. Use as big a battery (CCA) as you can.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I recently move my Transtar's battery to the tool box in the front of the bed. I happened to have some REALLY nice, copper welding cable and used that to fashion my batt cables from.
          The positive one I ran to the starter solenoid, but the negative cable goes only as far as the frame rail.

BTW, I would also enlarge the ground strap to the engine in your case. With the battery in the engine compartment, the neg lead usually terminates ON the engine someplace. The block to frame lead they use in this case it to insure the rest of the car's electrical system (lights, heaters, wipers, etc..) has adequate flow, via that lead. But since (in theory) your starter's not gonna see the battery's negative side except thru that 4Ga. jumper, that should be replaced as well.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks guys, it makes more sense now.
            Parky

62 GT Hawk

Comment

Working...
            X