Who do you trust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who do you trust?

I'm finding lots of parts and stuff online, but no bumpers or grilles. I've been looking for local chrome guys, hoping to fix what I've got; found one, but then found a local Stude owner who was unhappy with services there. My dad's paranoid to send off irreplaceable pieces, and not get them back. So I promised to find trustworthy and quality service, be it near or far. Any warnings or recommendations?

Well, this is one of those area's where more info from you will help.
    I take it you are from Louisiana, but that's just a guess as I had to look at your profile to guess that. You don't say what kind of car or truck or Stude it is for. Some grilles can be chromed for a hundred bucks, some a few thousand bucks. You are wise to listen to fellow enthusiasts to get their feedback. Since bumpers and grilles are big and bulky, freight can become an issue.
    You might be better off to replace the part than having it rechromed.
    It all depends....and it is a good question to ask!
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by shugnshay

I'm finding lots of parts and stuff online, but no bumpers or grilles. I've been looking for local chrome guys, hoping to fix what I've got; found one, but then found a local Stude owner who was unhappy with services there. My dad's paranoid to send off irreplaceable pieces, and not get them back. So I promised to find trustworthy and quality service, be it near or far. Any warnings or recommendations?
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Chrome shops have been discussed at length here in the past. Rather than looking for a rehash, you may want to use the "Search" function above. Many good shops have been recommended and pricing experience shared.

Personally, I would recommend you contact the members of your local SDC chapter. More than a few of them have a great deal of experience with local shops that produce work of the highest quality, as well as reputable shops supplying driver quality chrome at a more reasonable cost.

Brad Johnson
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10,
      '51 Commander Starlight,
      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I know that people have had good experiences with Librandi's in PA, and JP has been using Graves recently for some pot metal. I doubt either is cheap, but...

One of our own, Jerry Forrester, also does chrome plating but he won't touch pot metal needing repair (don't blame him.)

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Graves is expensive, and the chrome might be "too good" for some cars since it's far better that what the factory did. i.e., I can get a so-so job done on a bumper for $300, they charge $650, but the chrome won't fail in a few years like a thin replate.

JDP/Maryland
          64 R2 GT cost to date $55046.57
          64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
          63 Lark 2 door
          58 Packard HT
          56 Golden Hawk
          52 Starliner
          51 Commander
          39 Coupe express
          39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Sorry, Jeff. Thought my signature would fill all that in... This is for a 1950 Commander, and yes, we're in Louisiana. I was looking into buying all new trim (honestly, I didn't know it could be repaired), but couldn't find any bumpers or grilles for sale.

Brad - tried searching on chrome, rechrome, and chrome plate, but didn't find what I was looking for; too many results to dig through. I'd contacted local SDC members about the local chrome place and asked for suggestions. Reply stated that local place doesn't do "impressive" work. No details or recommendations were offered.

Thanks to all of you. Your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Shay

Expert Daddy's Girl
            Louisiana
            1950 Commander

Comment

NONE of the chrome shops are cheap anymore! But I've had good luck with Librandi's in PA. Standard answer is 10-12 weeks, and at about 10 weeks they call and say it's ready.
              Librandi's does the chrome plating for the Harley Davidson plant in York, the antique auto stuff is NOT his bread and butter, but, he's a "car guy" so he enjoys doing it.

Jim
              "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
              their Memorials!

Comment

Todd LiBrandi has been doing my work and, NO, he is not cheap. You send it, he prices it, you don't like it, he sends it back, no charge.
                I sent my '53 grill surrounds; he gave me a price. I said do it. He soda blasted them and determined they were too far gone for him to do. He recommended another shop and sent them back, NO CHARGE.

Next week I'm expecting him to return one tailight housing, two headlight rims and the horn ring for my '53. The price is $620.

And, the shop he recommended did manage to do a beautiful job on the grill surrounds.

I have three sets of grills for my '51 and would consider them all driver quality. I don't plan on making it a show car, as I suspect the price of rechroming them would run a couple grand. Still, I might send him a set, just to get a quote.
                "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10,
                '51 Commander Starlight,
                '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
                '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Shay,I have a friend that gets his done in Adamville ,Tn.,about 75 miles from us.The guy does great work.I dont think hes to costly either because Bobbys quite frugal.He did all the chroming on his 33 Rockne, his 39 champion .and now his 32 Rockne.Thats bumper to bumper too.Bobbys gone on vacation this week but when he returns i will get his name n address n phone # for you.

David Baggett '53 coupe

Comment

Working...
                  X