SteelTech Adaptor Plate Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SteelTech Adaptor Plate Help

Hello, I have a Steel Tech Adaptor Plate going on a 259 stude motor. The biggest Problem is drilling out the 3/16 hole for the dowel pins on the motor. Does anyone out there have the blue prints of the dowel pins on the motor in relation to the center of the crank center. I am only allowed .002 inch in order to be on the button. I need to locate of the dowel pins to the center of crank. Has anyone had this problem.

The SteelTech plate has an aluminum plate bolted to the steel plate.
    The aluminum plate centers the steel plate on the crankshaft. You
    center the plate .. and bolt it down to spec against the block, then
    you drill the dowel pin holes. I drilled mine from the engine side
    and used the stock hole locations. Then tap in the dowel pins. You
    might want to add a hole like I did, to be able to torque the torque
    converter bolts. BTW, the aluminum plate gets unbolted and removed
    before you put the torque converter on.

Here are some pictures of the hole location I drilled with a holesaw.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

What is the starter used on this adapter ?
      Bill H
      Daytona Beach
      SDC member since 1970
      Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

Many different names i believe i used one for a 74 v-8 jeep. also crosses to some fords. good luck my steel tech plate required more machine work to make it work correctly than it did for him to make it. with any luck he has resolved to out of balance flywheels and starter mounts that are to shollow. and the additude that it was perfect when he sent it.

Erin Hays
        "From Stuck and Rusty to Slick steel and sex appeal"
        RZRECTD
        1961 Hawk
        1962 Lark
        1963 Wagonaire

Comment

Thanks. Well , I've got one going in shortly . Its almost tempting to buy one of the other adapters now available rather than use this one , based on some of the experiences posted on the various forums .
          Bill H
          Daytona Beach
          SDC member since 1970
          Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

You can always use the plate as a drill jig for the stick housings.

Comment

I had no trouble with my install, was very easy. Only two things are
              the lack of a hole for torquing the torque converter (which I posted
              up pictures/dimensions) and the dowel pins arent tapered. So use a
              file and also remove the paint from the dowel pin. Easy as cake.

Tom
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

What I was trying to tell you Tom, is you could have bought a McLoed modular housing and used that plate to drill it out for your 6 speed.

Comment

Oh, I considered that. Matter of fact, I was going to go that route,
                  but the TKO just makes much more financial sense. Adapting the bell-
                  housing was always the "easy" part, the herdle in that conversion is
                  getting the flywheel to mate the hydraulic parts, the trans to fit in
                  the tunnel, and the cross member to hold it all in. I was figuring
                  that it would cost me close to 1000 on top of the money I already spent
                  on the T56 to complete the install. I shouldnt have any trouble making
                  enough off the sale of the T56 to cover the complete TKO install.

Tom

quote:Originally posted by Alan

What I was trying to tell you Tom, is you could have bought a McLoed modular housing and used that plate to drill it out for your 6 speed.

Comment

Working...
                  X