Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive Shaft: 63 Lark Universal Joint

Okay, rookie question time!

Does anyone have the Napa part number for the universal joints for my '63 Lark? (259/Automatic/Dana 27 diff) My Google-fu is failing me tonight, and I'm wanting to do this this week while the weather's nice and I can open my garage door.

Thanks!
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Universal Joints, how hard CAN it be?

1963 was the year (I think the ONLY year) that the Standard very Common Spicer outside snap ring lock type "U" Joints (1964 Chev. 1/2 Ton Truck) were not used ALL year.

I believe some used the Different Front & Rear Mechanics Type with the Split Ring internal Bearing Locks, these are the same as Camaros use. -This needs to be known before ordering.

It looks like IF it's a Spicer it is Precision Brand #369 at O'Reilly's Auto Parts or equivalent.

See if it looks like this:
    http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...7127&ppt=C0362

UPDATE: OK, I did your work for you now, I looked in the "Good Book".
    It says: Rich. was WRONG! (also O'Reilly's) ALL '63's use a Mechanics U Joint.
    It is 1964 when some of each were used and no Serial Number change.

All I could find on the Mechanics Style is this, a Lakewood 23014:
    http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...7127&ppt=C0362

But, they only show One size front and rear so either this misses the other one or I have the wrong Year 1967 & 68.

YIKES! $67.10 + 13.63 UPS Ground (not in stock) + 7.02 Tax = $87.75 at my closest Store, AND this is the cheapie, Sealed type with no Zerk Fitting for ONLY ONE!

You may be better off at a Studebaker Dealer! (Imagine that!) ... Maybe More wait, maybe not, but right parts > 1559481 Front $31.00 1559482 Rear $36.60
    Ok case closed, forget the Parts Stores.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 02-16-2014, 09:17 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Do you know when the switch was made? My car was built in mid-January.

I know I know, quit being lazy and look under the car!

Comment

Hawks, and Avantis never used the mechanics type internal ring u-joints. They were mostly used on the Dana 27 equipped vehicles, and even then not all of 'em.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

How does removal/replacement compare to the external ring u joints? That's all I've ever done before.

I think I found the links on autozone: This one for the front and This one for the rear. Do these seem right?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
            Hawks, and Avantis never used the mechanics type internal ring u-joints. They were mostly used on the Dana 27 equipped vehicles, and even then not all of 'em.
            My 64 GT Hawk utilizes Mechanics style u-joints and my 1963 Lark uses Spicer

Originally posted by JimC View Post
            How does removal/replacement compare to the external ring u joints? That's all I've ever done before.

I think I found the links on autozone: This one for the front and This one for the rear. Do these seem right?

Thanks!
            These two links are for mechanic style u-joints. They are equally easy to install. My own preferance is for the Mechanics style

Allen
            1964 GT Hawk
            PSMCDR 2014
            Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
            PSMCDR 2013
            Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Mechanics "U" Joints

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
              Well then, they must not have gone by the book if these random installed U joints were actually on ORIGINAL '63 Cars, the Yokes and Driveshafts have to be changed to switch, so only a driveline replacement could change the Joints.

But I can say that back in 1970 when my '63 R1 Powershift GT Hawk was not very old, it DID have I am pretty sure ORIGINAL Mechanics Joints.
              I know because one day the wife took off a bit fast at a stoplight and tore the Eye off of the front of the driveshaft because the factory sealed Mechanics joint ran dry and came apart.
              StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post

I think I found the links on autozone: This one for the front and This one for the rear. Do these seem right?Thanks!
                Yes they are Jim, I like that Site, there is way more detail on their Parts and what is important, it IS Correct, unlike O'Reilly's, not to mention way cheaper and this is a better Part.

I usually search CARQUEST and NAPA along with these two, and there are plenty of Studebaker misprints in all!
                StudeRich

Comment

I went over to Summit racing's site, and according to them, Moog 505 and Moog 507 are a correct fit for the car. Anyone know if this is true? If so, they're plentiful and cheap.

Comment

Really, you can beat AutoZone's $34.99 a Pair?
                    Yes I am familiar with those universal "U" Joint Part Numbers for the Mechanics Brand Front & Rear joints.
                    StudeRich

Comment

I called AutoZone today, and the rear U joint is NLA from their supplier. The 505 and the 507 together from Summit will cost almost exactly the same once shipping is figured in. Crisis averted!

Of course, having said all that, over the last couple days I've decided that I really need to get the car up on the jack stands and make sure it's the u joints that need servicing. While there seemed to be a very tiny bit of play in the driveshaft when I checked, I have to admit that I didn't actually look to make sure the play wasn't due to either the transmission or differential. Well, off for more due diligence I suppose.

Thanks all!

Comment

That is very true, the most common place for apparent "slop" in the driveline is the Differential, sometimes the spider gears.
                        StudeRich

Comment

Working...
                        X