electric windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: electric windows

My 53 K model needs window regulators up front. I know they are available as rebuilt units. I had another thought about putting in electric units and hopefully be able to use my window crank as the operating switch. Anyone attempted this before?

I had a friend that had three 1955 Speedsters and two of them had factory power windows. This would be the same K body and six volts as your car.

I have seen custom installations where the original window crank is used to activate power windows. I think that is a nice approach for aftermarket power windows.
    Last edited by studegary; 02-16-2014, 04:56 PM. Reason: remove extra c
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

At South Bend in 2007, a fellow showed a restored black '55 President Hardtop factory exec car that had power window lifts.....I was impressed by how smoothly and quickly those windows operated!

Comment

I was looking at doing exactly this to my 59 Hawk.

I was considering the flat window kits like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Lif...a93776&vxp=mtr

plus switches sort of like this (there are different versions that allow you to pick one that matches your window crank):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Electric-Win...b60750&vxp=mtr

I ended up going a different route because my regulators were in good shape, so I didn't feel a need to rip it all out and change the mechanicals. So I just put a "power unit" on the regulators, and covered the hub with the switch.

No longer 100% original looking, but I like it. I posted a thread about how I did it on the forum if you would like to see my install.

Comment

Thanks guys. Phillip I think you are on the right track. My car was previously converted to 12 volt. Just unsure about the stud that operates the mechanism and if it will work with the Stude handle. I guess when you modify, you're on your own. Build thread to happen before too long.

Comment

Speedway sells the power window switches that you want. I put a set in a 33 dodge truck and they work with your stock handles.

Comment

Originally posted by Pancho View Post
              Thanks guys. Phillip I think you are on the right track. My car was previously converted to 12 volt. Just unsure about the stud that operates the mechanism and if it will work with the Stude handle. I guess when you modify, you're on your own. Build thread to happen before too long.
              I believe that it would be easier to convert to stock Studebaker power windows now that you have converted to 12 volts. I would venture that there were more 12 volt K bodies with power windows than there were six volt K bodies with power windows.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I hadn't thought about that idea Gary. I'll look into that. I don't want to have to re-engineer anything I don't have to.

Comment

Working...
                X