1961 silver hawk 289 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1961 silver hawk 289 build

Hello I am a new member and new to Studebakers. I have built engines from the big three but I do need some expert opinions from you guys so I can sleep well. I bought a complete engine kit from Studebaker International and had the cam reground to R1 specs per Studebaker Drivers Club recommendation. I have learned much on this site and the two manuals I have to go by. My first question has to do with the pinch bolts. My machinists says he is very familar with studs and insisted he put the pinch bolts in. When I got them back all the pistons and rod configurations were correct except some of the pinch bolts were put in the opposite way and he said it does not matter which way the are.( I did the tapping process my self after I got them back from the machinist) Here are some questions if you have the time.

1. Does it matter which way the pinch bolts are facing on a non-balanced engine.

2. Should I use Loctite 290 for extra insurance.

3. The head gaskets in my kit are the shim style and are shinny silver. Part number RPMWDI GSK035 should I spray these with copper coat?

4. What is the Pal-nut tightening process for the rod bolts.

5. When installing the rings do I clock the gaps like I would on a ford engine.

Thanks for your time I will post some pictures when I figure that out.

Mike

On a stude V-8 engine it does matter which direction the pinch bolt is oriented.

Pistons should have a notch and the notch on all pistons point forward to the front of the engine. I believe all the pinch bolt nuts orient toward the passenger side of the block when viewed with the block upside down. Double check for a second, third opinion. Yes, cooper coat spray on both sides of the headgasket but avoid runs and pile up. Several light coatings for evenness. Install Pal nuts after rod bolt torque 0f 52 ft-lbs max. Just snug though or the pal will tear. The rods and caps are numbered. Rods have an offset so follow the shop engine manual on the reassembly carefully. Pre prime the engine before you start it. Good luck

The piston ring packet should show the gapping and clocking of the rings.
    Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Comment

The most important thing about the Pinch Bolts which you may have already learned, but should be carefully checked, is the Flat on the Bolt MUST perfectly align with the Flat on the Wrist Pin, the screwdriver slot should end up Level, perpendicular to the top and bottom of the Connecting Rod.

Good luck with your rebuild, having the proper Shop Manual should be a huge help.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I see you are in California, so am I. You can come over and check the shop manual if you want. I just put the pistons in my truck yesterday, by the way, and the manual describes everything down to a t.

Comment

If you need help or have questions, I'm located in Hawthorne. Bud

Comment

The best, and maybe only effective "extra insurance" against loosening on the pinch bolts, like any hard working structural fastener, is being sure they are installed and torqued properly.
            Loctite is a fine product, but keeping the nut from backing off will not keep the wedge from working loose , like others said, if it is not well seated in the first place.
            http://www.boltscience.com/images/boltf6.jpg

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply's. Which is the best manual for me? I checked the slots on the pinch bolts and they are perpendicular to the rod. Any second or third opinions on the pich bolt direction? Thanks Bud and Doug I am about 3 hours north from you Nipomo CA.Mike

Comment

Here is a photobucket link for some pictures
                http://s189.photobucket.com/user/mik...?sort=3&page=1
                Mike

Comment

Sorry guys more questions.
                  I took a reading of my crankshaft end play and I am waiting for some shims. Can I install the pistons/rods now or should I wait and check the final end play with out the rods installed. Mike

Comment

When I reinstall the pinch bolts, I use a new nut and outside star washer and to be on the safe side, I put a drop of blue Loctite on the threads. I like to check the crankshaft end play with nothing connected to the crank shaft as the crankshaft can be moved a bunch easier. Bud

Comment

Originally posted by 427mike View Post
                      Thanks for the quick reply's. Which is the best manual for me? I checked the slots on the pinch bolts and they are perpendicular to the rod. Any second or third opinions on the pich bolt direction? Thanks Bud and Doug I am about 3 hours north from you Nipomo CA.Mike

The 1959 to 1964 Studebaker Shop Manual, available at Studebaker Vendors in Book or CD Form.
                      At:
                      http://studebakervendors.com
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                      X