Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Dash bulb replacement on a '52 Commander/Land Cruiser clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Dash bulb replacement on a '52 Commander/Land Cruiser clock

Can someone please post a picture of the BACK of a '52 Commander/Land Cruiser clock? I was working under the dash and bumped the bulb and socket out of the clock. Now I can't see where it goes (top, bottom,. center, side) in the back surface of the clock. Thanks very much!
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

There are no pictures in either the shop manual or the chassis parts book.

The hole is pretty big, about the size of a dime or larger. You should be able to feel it with your finger.

If you sit upside down in the seat, like Mork from Ork used to, you should be able to reach it and plug it back in.

Don't do too much bending wires or thrashing around under there, though. Most of that wire is brittle by now and the insulation will turn to dust if you flex the wire.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 02-14-2014, 11:29 AM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

A few days ago there was a 52 clock for sale with pictures of the back on Ebay. You might check there or Google 1952 Studebaker clock and see what you find. I don't have a clock handy to reference.
      "In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

I tried to reinstall the lamp sockets on my '52 Commander clock after having it out of the dash but gave up and finally decided I may have to remove the radio to do it.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I'll look for the clock on Ebay and now that I know approximately where the hole is located, I'll VERY carefully try to re-insert the bulb. THANKS AGAIN!
          '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)

Comment

I found this picture in my 51-52 shop manual and blew it up. It appears that the lights are mounted on brackets out to the side for indirect lighting and not through a hole in the back.

#4 is a light bracket in two locations.

Last edited by 52-fan; 02-14-2014, 10:52 AM.
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

From one Howard to another Howard; Thank you!

Comment

I found the picture in the manual. I'll fix it tomorrow. Thanks again.
                Just for clarification; the picture I found is on page 17 of the body section in the 1951 Shop Manual. I don't have a '52 Shop Manual; if someone has one they would like to sell, please let me know condition and cost. I used the picture and located the bulb sockets in the clock; Let there be light!
                Thanks again everyone.
                Last edited by brngarage; 02-15-2014, 11:25 AM. Reason: Location of picture (what manual, what page)

Comment

I'm glad you guys found it. I sure didn't, but I was looking in the 50 shop manual. It still could be there, but I didn't see it.
                  RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                  10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                  10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                  4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                  5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                  56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                  60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

The only clock I found on Ebay was a 50, but it had the same kind of brackets for the lights. I wasn't sure they were made the same.
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                    X