Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transmission refuses to shift into first or rev.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission refuses to shift into first or rev.

I haven't put many road miles on my '64 Daytona in years, but have regularly started it, and have always "yard" driven it every few months.
    It sat parked all through July and August of this summer, now when I went to move it, it refuses to shift into either the first or reverse gears, (this is a 3 speed with o/d manual) it has always before shifted very smoothly and effortlessly, now all of a sudden. no amount of pressure will suffice to move the lever into either first or reverse positions, it won't even grind the gears, clutch in or out, o/d engaged or disingaged, although it still shifts just fine between 2nd and 3rd.
    Back in the '60s our old '64 Commander used to regularly "lock up" in the second gear position, and we would have to pound on the linkage to get it to "unlock", but I don't recall having it ever refuse to shift out of the neutral position?
    One thing for sure, is that I cannot even attempt to move it on these Kentucky hills without a functioning first and reverse.
    Guess I'll now have to be jacking and blocking 'er up so's that I can get ahold of those consarned shift rods and arms.

Check the shifter mechanisms on the steering column. (Under the hood where the linkage connects.)

Matthew Burnette
    '59 Scotsman
    '63 Daytona
    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I had a similar situation with the 2r5. Except it wouldn't shift into first gear and the column shift suddenly started shifting with "extra corners", where the gear selector shifted wayyyy high. Well, come to find out the cotter pin that held the linkage to the column had rusted and broke off and the linkage fell off. A new cotter pin, placement of the gear selector where first was supposed to be on the column, resetting the linkage on the tranny for first, and the truck shifted into first better than ever.
      I would too check the linkage because when I first set the linkage back into place it wouldn't shift either. Come to find out the linkage was set too far(I think it was sitting on a stop on the tranny, not sure, whatever it was it wasn't centered). It took a couple times but I got it to where first should be.

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
      1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
      [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
      [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
      [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
      [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
      1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
      1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
      1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
      1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Update, I removed the cotter pin and disconnected the first/reverse linkage rod at the column, found that the column levers move smooth and free, however the first/reverse shift rod will not move in either direction by hand, or by hammer. definitely jammed or locked up at the tranny.
        Started in with the jacking and blocking so that I can get under and access the transmission shift levers directly, but it got dark and the car is way out on a hillside (sitting on a level location though) so will wait and tackle it again tomorrow morning.

Comment

Today I got under and did a little banging on the first/reverse lever where it comes out through the side of the tranny case, good news is that it finally came unstuck, and now seems to shift just fine again. I think it must have been the shift detent assembly inside the tranny that jammed, only time will tell if there will be a repeat. Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Beware speed shifting between first and second, that's how it happens to jam. The arm on the steering column in your hand comes out of first and the transmission doesn't. You have to learn the Studebaker Shift, a Z move from first almost to reverse, then into the 2nd - 3rd range, and up into 2nd.

Once it's jammed, pull over to the side, pop the hood and with a long 1/2-9/16 combination wrench, lift up on the first/reverse lever, while gently rocking the car/truck. You gotta be parked on level ground, cuz you can't do it with the emergency brake on.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars1.jpg[/img=left]
            Tom Bredehoft
            '53 Commander Coupe
            '60 Lark VI
            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
            All three Indiana built OD cars

Comment

Tom, Your advice on how to get it "unlocked" easier is well appreciated, however as I stated in my first post, this car is now only "yard driven", thus it has not exceeded 10 miles an hour in years, never even makes it into second, and in the all years that I have been its owner, it has never been operated by anyone else, and has never once been "speed shifted". It became "locked up" simply by attempting to shift it into "first" after it had sat for 2+ months.
              I have put only around 100 miles of driving on it since purchasing it back in 1997, it is a very solid and original car that still runs excellent, but the factory original Strato Blue paint is now extremely dull, faded, and worn right through in many places.
              I have been accumulating NOS parts for its eventual restoration since the day that I bought it, thousands of $ worth now, and have also obtained three additional '64 Daytona HT "parts cars", actually I have enough parts in my stash to have 2 really nicely restored '64 Daytona's.
              But other "things" have been keeping me busy, such as moving to Kentucky last year. For the last week I have had a bulldozer out reshaping, leveling and taming a couple of acres of my hillside property in preparation for building both a new house, and a much larger garage/shop to work on my collection of Studebaker's. I also own a '48 M-5, a '62 Lark, and a '62 Champ.

Comment

Working...
              X