No announcement yet.

82 Avanti Steering Issues, Fuel Smells, and more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The number I provided was an old GM part number, according to the web. When I searched for it I got lots of hits, so it should be easy to find. Bear in mind it was for my 1980 car, I don't know if this works for the one under discussion. The big thing is to get the canister, not the filter.

Comment

Thanks for responses everyone!

I just started rebuilding the carbuerator this weekend so we'll see if that changes any of the startup issues. Perhaps my total lack of fear when it comes to tearing stuff apart is a bad thing, because I usually fear putting them back together properly. lol
      Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	1687819

Does anyone know if its possible to replace all the rubber hosing on the gas tank with out taking the tank out?

Comment

Since this is an electronic Rochester carburetor, be sure you are diligent in putting things back together. The throttle position sensor is in the upper left corner of your cloth you have laid out. The actuating pin is plastic, and is depressed by a little metal pin (pictured right underneath it). It is placed in the main bore at an angle and if you try to place the top of the carb and tighten it down, you will break the plunger. You must depress the plunger with an awl so the top can fit. Then the actuating pin is dropped into the bore on top and the accelerator lever pushes on it.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

@Bezhawk Thanks for the advice. I got all those little fiddly pieces back together and the carb on the car. Butt Dyno says that was at least 20 hp. Haha jk, but really the car seems to idle a lot smoother now and the throttle responses seem to be more crisp. I used JB weld to plug up the metering wells from the bottom, so tomorrow morning we'll see if that was part of the hard starting problem.

Is there much tuning that can go into these electronic QJets or are they pretty much set it and forget it?

Comment

You can change metering rods, just like a normal carb, the rate of opening of the secondaries is also adjustable like a regular non electronic carb. The electronics basically controls the enrichment instead of vacuum. It's controlled in conjunction with an O2 sensor, so changing things too much messes up everything else. Just pay attention to initial settings, and you should be good to go. (IIRC 7 turns out on the metering rod plunger. 1 1/2 turns on the idle screws.) It takes a special tool on the idle screws and the sealing plugs must be removed.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
            X