I think I need a new fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
    When the engine is cold, one push on the accelerator pedal should trigger the choke butterfly to the closed position. You should be able to see this easily when the air filter is off. As the engine warms up, the choke eases off and is near vertical. You need the richer fuel mixture to ensure running at the colder engine temp. If the choke is not working, you will get a poor idle/stall when the engine is cold. As it warms up, it will run better. I am only suggesting this as you indicated that the carb was rebuilt recently and you indicated that this is just about the time the problem started. Additionally, your statement " the car idles roughly and dies out until it starts to warm up. Then it idles and runs just fine." is the penultimate description of the choke not working.
    Thanks for the explanation. It appears I might have two unrelated problems here. The fuel pump which still has a thin coat of gasoline on it AND a choke problem. The carb wasn't a total rebuild job. It was an "overhaul" with new gaskets. So there could be more carb issues. Thanks for the additional information.

Comment

Just checked. Choke butterfly appeared to stay closed when at cold idle. When I poked it open to the vertical position the engine died almost immediately. Started it again. Still idled rough and wanted to die. Improved as is warmed up but still idled on the rough side. Thoughts? Is mixture too rich or lean perhaps?

I do have the "opened choke butterfly when cold" problem on the Stromberg EX-23 (automatic choke) on my '35 Dictator. It's even worse about dying when cold. Butterfly is in the fully open vertical position when cold. In fact, I can't even get it closed by poking it with my finger. It's like it's frozen in place. Is this a carburetor or accelerator linkage problem most likely? Any thoughts on how I check this? Starts on first or second try. I just can't keep the engine running. Well, this is weird. But the very first time I start it, it idles fine. Then I turn it off. Start again, no problem. But then the idle trouble begins. This has happened the last two times I went to the garage to start it.

Wiped down the fuel pump on the '50 while I was at it. Will take it on a very few short trips around the neighborhood and keep a very close eye on it. I will probably go ahead and replace it very soon since it does seem to be seeping somewhere in the bottom half of the pump.

Thanks again for your expertise.

Comment

Originally posted by southbend View Post
        Just checked. Choke butterfly appeared to stay closed when at cold idle. When I poked it open to the vertical position the engine died almost immediately. Started it again. Still idled rough and wanted to die. Improved as is warmed up but still idled on the rough side. Thoughts?
        Originally posted by southbend View Post
        Is mixture too rich or lean perhaps?/Cut/

Both Cars' chokes should be almost closed when Cold and the throttle has been lightly depressed, all you do is loosen the 3 screws holding the Black Bakelite adjustment round "knob" and turn it in the direction of "Rich".
        I believe that would be counterclockwise, but follow the marks on the Thermostatic Spring Housing to the pointer.

Be advised that this is not the Carb. running richness "Mixture" adjustment at all, just the temporary Choke "warm-up" adjustment.
        Last edited by StudeRich; 02-19-2014, 11:26 AM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
        X