No announcement yet.

FOM Transmission rebuild.....WOW!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: FOM Transmission rebuild.....WOW!

Steve Winzar from Australia sent me a link to his blog where he walks (is walking) through rebuilding his Flight O Matic.

Great Photos and dialog

http://studebakerflightomatic.blogspot.com.au/

Thank you Steve
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Maybe I will tackle the HD auto in my '63 R-1 Cruiser. I looked in the factory manual and noticed all the recommended factory tools to assemble and disassemble. I'll follow this detailed thread and might make it a summer project. I don't believe my transmission has ever been apart and does leak a bit. So far it functions well.

Comment

Originally posted by gmax336 View Post
      Maybe I will tackle the HD auto in my '63 R-1 Cruiser. I looked in the factory manual and noticed all the recommended factory tools to assemble and disassemble. I'll follow this detailed thread and might make it a summer project. I don't believe my transmission has ever been apart and does leak a bit. So far it functions well.
      Front pump and rear extension housing oil seals, pan gasket, and new selector shaft seal, and You may be all set without a complete tear down.

Comment

How did the name O Matic come about? Ford was Ford O Matic, Rambler was Flash O Matic & Studebaker was Flight O Matic. Was it because GM had Hydr O Matic?

Comment

Originally posted by Mikado282 View Post
          How did the name O Matic come about? Ford was Ford O Matic, Rambler was Flash O Matic & Studebaker was Flight O Matic. Was it because GM had Hydr O Matic?
          The o-matic was very 'fifties'!

Comment

Here they call it a medium case cast iron Borg-Warner. Take a pick to the bands to inspect the lining material. Old heated lining even if it looks great, will often flake off easily. Relining the bands is very inexpensive. Most generic rebuild kits wont have all the correct steel sealing rings. Fatsco is one of the only choices to find what you need. Also Stude specific on several case bushings, where Ford, and AMC wont fit. Don't put in Dexron clutches, and type F bands. A turbo 400 sprag will work if the old one is worn, or more likely the brass drag strips broken. FMX racing clutches and heat treated steels will work too and are no more harsh than bronze clutches.
            Last edited by bezhawk; 02-09-2014, 04:07 PM.
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Mikado282 View Post
              Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
              Chrysler had something called the Truck-O-Matic during that era I believe............
              --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                Fordomatic
                Mercomatic
                Flashomatic
                Flightomatic
                Etcomatic

Comment

I wonder if it would have been more reliable if Packard engineers called their transmission the Ult-rO-matic ?

Comment

Working...
                  X