Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

12 volt blower and wiper motor for 54 Champion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 12 volt blower and wiper motor for 54 Champion?

I know this has been discussed numerous times here but after an hour of searching I can't seen to find a thread with a good part number. Does anyone have a known good part number to replace the 6 volt motor in both the defrost and heater fans with a 12 volt?
    Also what to do about wiper motor? My car has a vacuum powered set up, but my 53 Commander came with three different electric set ups in the trunk that might fit, I'm just not sure how to tell if they are 12 or 6 volt.

Champion essentially means "6 cylinder passenger car". What body style do you have? Wagon, sedan, coupe, hardtop?
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

The blower motors can be replaced with ones to fit 65 mustang at parts houses. Pictures would be helpful for you to identify wiper motors. I don't have any in file. Maybe someone can post some.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
        Champion essentially means "6 cylinder passenger car". What body style do you have? Wagon, sedan, coupe, hardtop?
        Sorry, I assumed the blowers were all the same. It's a starlight coupe.

I'll try to get out to the storage garage this week for pictures of the wiper motors.

Comment

The later 12 volt parts fit.

The heater motor is an, outwardly...exact duplicate of the later Lark type motors. Wiring, fastener location, size, all of it.

The 12v wiper assembly is an "almost" duplicate. The motor hangs at a slight angle down vs. the 6v motor, but fits fine without hitting anything. The one things that is visually different is where the wiring goes into the switchgear. There is no cover for it and the 6v cover wont work. So you can see where the wires are soldered into the switchgear.
          The attachments, hookup to the wiper linkage, etc., are the same. It's also a bolt on.

Ask here for what you need, most are ready to help if they have the parts.

Mike

Comment

56 and up Hawk wiper motor assemblies and heater and defroster motor assemblies are a direct replacement. They are 12V
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

After a lot more digging, this may be what I'm looking for. I'll try it out this week and report back.

http://m.oreillyauto.com/mt/www.orei..._jtt_v_thumb=1

Comment

Did you call NAPA with the Unimotor numbers that I gave you on the other thread earlier today? Those are valid numbers from January of 2014. Unimotor is a US company, probably the largest supplier of these types of motors on the continent.

Comment

Originally posted by northern View Post
                  Did you call NAPA with the Unimotor numbers that I gave you on the other thread earlier today? Those are valid numbers from January of 2014. Unimotor is a US company, probably the largest supplier of these types of motors on the continent.
                  I didn't get a chance to call before they closed, but I did dig around on their website and other websites for a while and had no luck with that number. This one was referenced in a few other threads and is in stock locally for $19 so I figured I'd pick one up and give it a try.
                  Last edited by Zenwren; 02-08-2014, 08:38 PM.

Comment

I just installed the blower motor from O'riley and its a perfect fit! It's a VDO motor part number PM351, best part is it's only $18.99. Still trying to coax the defrost motor off to see if it will also fit there.

Comment

I also need to do a wiper motor. I have the vacuum type but am wanting to switch to an electric one. Anyone have a link or a part number for a common one to swap it out with?

Comment

Working...
                      X