Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

oil pan gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: oil pan gasket

Hello all . Getting ready to tackle a oil pan gasket replace on my 55 champion . Should I be able to get pan off without pulling the engine ?

Not sure of your Model, it does look like a Sedan, but most do require turning the wheels all the way Right.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks StudeRich , Very cold here in Knoxville and snow is supposed to be on the way so i haven't got the want to geared up yet .

Comment

You may have to remove the steering bellcrank....or better yet, lift the engine up a few inches.

Comment

SN-60 I was just about counting on having to lift the engine a little . I was really hoping to be able to put it on the lift and do it all from underneath. but I also have a rig that I made up for fwd cars that lays across the engine bay and I can lift the engine and still be able to do it from under.

Comment

Originally posted by longtops View Post
            SN-60 I was just about counting on having to lift the engine a little . I was really hoping to be able to put it on the lift and do it all from underneath. but I also have a rig that I made up for fwd cars that lays across the engine bay and I can lift the engine and still be able to do it from under.
            That sounds perfect,....Good luck with it!

Comment

Be a good time to think about a shop manual. VERY HANDY.

Comment

Hey, if you get doing it I'd love to see some pictures of what I am in for. I have a 55 Champion as well and have the oil pan gaskets on route. I really need to clean the old oil and crap out of there so my plan was to remove the pan. I didn't realize how much of a production it was. And I do have the shop manual en route.

Comment

Did this a long time a go (55 Champion cpe. 6 cyl./std. V/8 MAY NEED TO DROP/REMOVE EXH. CROSS OVER?? I didn't have all the luxury of a lift or jack stands(b/jack&blocks) Didn't loosen/raise eng. .Anyway: LIFT COMP. FRONT END HIGH ENOUGH FOR EASY ACCESS TO WORK & SECURELY SUPPORT OF COURSE . Turning wheels as suggested will give a little more wiggle room to drop pan down. I don't recall any obstructions . Take your time when moving pan away from eng.You may have to juggle a certain way to clear oil sump , tie rod &such.REMEMBER WHICH WAY FOR EASE IN RE-INSTALL(much less struggle)!!TIP: APPLY SEALER TO PAN- SECURE GASKET TO PAN WITH LIGHT THREAD THROUGH BOLT HOLES FRT/MID/ RR BOTH SIDES(SAVES GSKT FROM MOVING-EASIER TO ALIGN/INSTALL BOLTS). APPLY SEALER TO BLOCK /INSTALL PAN ALL BOLTS LOOSE. SO YOU CAN CUT/REMOVE THREAD BEFORE TIGHTENING BOLTS EVENLY FROM -MIDDLE- OF PAN.ALTERNATING SIDES&DIRECTION-FRT TO REAR ("TORQNG. TO EVENLY SEAL GSKT.") NO LEAKS

Comment

Originally posted by arthurc1946 View Post
                    Did this a long time a go (55 Champion cpe. 6 cyl./std. V/8 MAY NEED TO DROP/REMOVE EXH. CROSS OVER?? I didn't have all the luxury of a lift or jack stands(b/jack&blocks) Didn't loosen/raise eng. .Anyway: LIFT COMP. FRONT END HIGH ENOUGH FOR EASY ACCESS TO WORK & SECURELY SUPPORT OF COURSE . Turning wheels as suggested will give a little more wiggle room to drop pan down. I don't recall any obstructions . Take your time when moving pan away from eng.You may have to juggle a certain way to clear oil sump , tie rod &such.REMEMBER WHICH WAY FOR EASE IN RE-INSTALL(much less struggle)!!TIP: APPLY SEALER TO PAN- SECURE GASKET TO PAN WITH LIGHT THREAD THROUGH BOLT HOLES FRT/MID/ RR BOTH SIDES(SAVES GSKT FROM MOVING-EASIER TO ALIGN/INSTALL BOLTS). APPLY SEALER TO BLOCK /INSTALL PAN ALL BOLTS LOOSE. SO YOU CAN CUT/REMOVE THREAD BEFORE TIGHTENING BOLTS EVENLY FROM -MIDDLE- OF PAN.ALTERNATING SIDES&DIRECTION-FRT TO REAR ("TORQNG. TO EVENLY SEAL GSKT.") NO LEAKS
                    Thanks arthurc1946 ! I now have a vision !

Comment

When you have the pan off ,replace the rear main oil seal.
                      I siock these N.O.S. at $20.00 postpaid.
                      Robert Kapteyn
                      studebaker@mac.com

Comment

arthur1946 check your PM's. Thanks .. Mike.

Comment

Working...
                        X