X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Avanti Engine in a 63 Daytona Hardtop

Hi Guys,
    I am fishing for information here.

I am toying with the idea of changing my sensational 63 Daytona Hardtop 259 auto PS AC PB that does 22mpg into an environmentally unfriendly weapon of mass destruction by adding an Avanti motor and powershift.

Does anybody make a bracket I can use to mount up a compressor so I can retain the factory Air-conditioning in the car or a bracket that allows me to change out the York compressor for a smaller unit ?

It will have a side mounted blower from an Avanti.

Many thanks for your help,

Greg Diffen
    Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
    1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
    1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
    1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
    1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
    1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Greg, I believe that You answered Your own question in Your first sentence. Best leave Your Daytona unmolested, and enjoy the 259, the finest V8 engine Studebaker made!

Comment

Originally posted by go-studebaker View Post
      Hi Guys,
      I am fishing for information here.
      <snip>
      Does anybody make a bracket I can use to mount up a compressor so I can retain the factory Air-conditioning in the car or a bracket that allows me to change out the York compressor for a smaller unit ?
      <snip>
      Greg Diffen
      Greg,
      Am pretty sure this is what you want....

Made by OldAir Co...
      http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalog/index.php

Click image for larger version

Name:	OldAir York to Sanden Compressor Plate.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.9 KB
ID:	1687693

Bear in mind that you will run into the R134 conversion issues where your condensor might not be large enough.
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

sals54

Comment

Greg,

Send Peter Sant a message. He is KOOLR2. He has a A/C 1963 R2 Avanti setup. He will steer you in the right direction.

Allen
          1964 GT Hawk
          PSMCDR 2014
          Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
          PSMCDR 2013
          Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Greg...Don't pay any attention to the 'Loud Crowd'.....Stick with the 259

Comment

Hi Guys,
              thanks for your thoughts.

I have to admit that a 259 and the way my little hardtop is set up already, it is the best driving Studebaker I have ever owned and the best all round combination Studebaker ever came out with. I am loathed to alter it.

Alen, nice article in TW about your Hawk scooting down the track recently

But a blown man is always smiling, so I am probably going to put the blown motor on the shelf and have it all ready for my middle aged mid life crisis when I get there, which is probably about 1 month away.....
              All those 3 years I spent in Toronto were in blown cars when I was 26 in 1991 and they were remarkably fun years.

Rearguards
              Greg
              Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
              1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
              1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
              1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
              1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
              1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
              1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Hi Guys,

I have to admit that a 259 and the way my little hardtop is set up already, it is the best driving Studebaker I have ever owned and the best all round combination Studebaker ever came out with. I am loathed to alter it.

But a blown man is always smiling, so I am probably going to put the blown motor on the shelf and have it all ready for my middle aged mid life crisis when I get there, which is probably about 1 month away.....
                All those 3 years I spent in Toronto were in blown cars when I was 26 in 1991 and they were remarkably fun years.

Rearguards
                Greg
                The side mounted supercharger is going to be more expensive, and a bit more difficult. i.e. the needed Avanti water manifold with require moving the radiator forward.
                JDP Maryland

Comment

Hi Guys,

Rearguards
                  Greg
                  Well said, I agree!

Comment

Working...
                  X