R1 Engine Breather Tube Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post
    Guess I'm OVER restoring mine. I think I will mark the centre, draw crosshairs, water it down with soapy water and slide that sticky decal over the OVER chromed and OVER restored air filter until it is perfectly aligned. Just like the air cleaner factory did before they shipped them to Studebaker and a factory worker put the air cleaner on.
    (sometimes I wish there was a sarcasm font)

Thanks again Studerich.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32173[/ATTACH]

Allen
    The engine really is very 'pretty'!

Comment

I've really never cared for the 'Over Restored' look....but to each his own I guess!

Comment

This one was on eBay as NOS. Its on the Lid..
        Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1687691

But Allen, It looks great.. I've heard MOPAR guys arguing about the most ridiculous things because they knew "Art" was woring the line that day and he did it one way.. I have no time for that kind of criticism.. That is, unless its about my battery hold down..

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
          This one was on eBay as NOS. Its on the Lid..
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]32190[/ATTACH]

But Allen, It looks great.. I've heard MOPAR guys arguing about the most ridiculous things because they knew "Art" was woring the line that day and he did it one way.. I have no time for that kind of criticism.. That is, unless its about my battery hold down..
          But ALLEN originally asked the question! (see post #1) The picture You just posted is REALLY going to confuse the poor guy!

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            Do you want me to call Chris at S.I. South Bend, and have him pull a Champion or '57 Commander Oil Bath out of the Box and prove you wrong Ed?
            There is really no need to go to all that trouble Dad.
            I have an NOS oil bath for a WCFB at my shop. Still in the box, that one is!!!

(don't ask me 'where' in the shop though- 'cuz I'm not too certain exactly)

StudeDave '57
            StudeDave '57
            US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
            SDC Member since 1985

past President
            Whatcom County Chapter SDC
            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
            San Diego Chapter SDC
            North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
              But ALLEN originally asked the question! (see post #1) The picture You just posted is REALLY going to confuse the poor guy!

Like I said on the top. (Had too many R1 with weathered decals to question the top placement, besides, the judges liked it there)
              JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
                Like I said on the top. (Had too many R1 with weathered decals to question the top placement, besides, the judges liked it there)

Sebastian thanks for posting that air cleaner, this is a definative answer to my question of sticker placement.

JDP, ... John does the breather tube hose come off the liike in these pictures?

BTW, how do you like the little red convertible you sold me? That little tired stock 259ci in the convertible has been transformed into a 299ci R1 with some high flowing 570 heads. a complete with a powershift and HD torque converter and Dana 44. Haven't been able to start it yet with a bad battery (just got a replacement),then the neutral safety switch needed to be adjusted, fuel that would not pump up the the fuel bowl, and a bad carburator (finished re-build the 3506S Carter AFB about 5 today. Hope it will fire tomorrow

Here is a before and after of the 3506S carburetor I just finished.

Name:	3506A AFB resized.jpg
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	1687700 Click image for larger version

Name:	3506S rebuilt resized.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	1687699

Here's the powershift bell you sold me too!

Name:	IMG_20130901_111623  resized.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1687701

The floors repaired

Name:	Floor patched resized.jpg
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	1687702

I love this little car, looking forward to driving it around this spring!

Allen
                Last edited by studebaker-R2-4-me; 02-07-2014, 08:25 PM.
                1964 GT Hawk
                PSMCDR 2014
                Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                PSMCDR 2013
                Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

This 'centered sticker' thread reminded Me of a photo I saw of a '55 Speedster with a ' Speedster Streamer' the car's owner screwed down EXACTLY parallel to the cowl body tag.....It looked 'pretty' that way, and was clearly legible without twisting one's neck....but Studebaker NEVER installed them that way. Hence....'Over Restored' End Of Story!

Comment

Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post
                    Sebastian thanks for posting that air cleaner, this is a definative answer to my question of sticker placement.

JDP, ... John does the breather tube hose come off the liike in these pictures?

BTW, how do you like the little red convertible you sold me? That little tired stock 259ci in the convertible has been transformed into a 299ci R1 with some high flowing 570 heads. a complete with a powershift and HD torque converter and Dana 44. Haven't been able to start it yet with a bad battery (just got a replacement),then the neutral safety switch needed to be adjusted, fuel that would not pump up the the fuel bowl, and a bad carburator (finished re-build the 3506S Carter AFB about 5 today. Hope it will fire tomorrow

Here is a before and after of the 3506S carburetor I just finished.
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]32205[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]32204[/ATTACH]

Here's the powershift bell you sold me too!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32206[/ATTACH]

The floors repaired

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32207[/ATTACH]

I love this little car, looking forward to driving it around this spring!

Allen
                    Damn, I wish I remembered that car, but there were just too many. Glad you are fixing her up, keep us up to date. BTW, the tube placement is correct in the photo.
                    JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
                      Damn, I wish I remembered that car, but there were just too many. Glad you are fixing her up, keep us up to date. BTW, the tube placement is correct in the photo.
                      John, This particular car came from Tennessee you owned it for about a month or so, cleaned it up a bit and relisted on Ebay. You might recall that it was the first car you released to be delivered by Pegs without having the certified cheque in your hands! I think you got the cheque a few days later.

Better get out to the shop and install that sticker, breather tube hose and new carburetor.

Allen
                      1964 GT Hawk
                      PSMCDR 2014
                      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                      PSMCDR 2013
                      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Nice instruments..

I'm doing the R1 super Lark to a 61 Conv, complete with 160mph speedo

This looks like she is ready to fly with a set of wings!

Comment

Did I miss it, or did anyone ask, or state, whether or not, if the Lark and Avanti should or should not, be the same. The original one is still on my Avanti air cleaner and it's just like the NOS one pictured

Comment

No, I do not believe anyone asked or mentioned about Lark vs Avanti Air Cleaners. Yes, all the same including R1 Hawks.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                            X