R1 Engine Breather Tube Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: R1 Engine Breather Tube Questions

Just putting on the finishing touches on my Lark R1 engine build and have a couple of questions. Where does the breather tube hose route from Factory? I was looking online at pictures and it seems they are routed straight up from the breather tube to the air cleaner while others approach from the back close to the firewall. The orinatation of the breather tube hose is important to me since I have a really nice sticker to add to the air cleaner. With that in mind where should the orinatation of the sticker be? I've seen pictures of it on the side of the air cleaner, one the top edge and in the outside portion of the centre. Where did the factory put that sticker?

Allen
    Last edited by studebaker-R2-4-me; 02-04-2014, 07:13 AM.
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

I spent a few hours today looking for factory photos of R1 engine bays, with little luck. Does anyone have a factory photo?

Allen
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Not a Factory Photo, but there is pretty much no other way that works. The Air Cleaner Hose nipple goes straight to the Right with the Large hose going to the Pan Breather and the small one seen just behind the Oil Cap going to the PCV Valve at the Rear base of the Carb. This is how all of the properly assembled R1's are, the United Air Cleaner Decal goes straight FORWARD, Center and centered top to bottom on the front face.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Laguna Blue Convert4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	1687672 This is a Show Car, '64 Daytona R1 Convertible.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Not a Factory Photo, but there is pretty much no other way that works. The Air Cleaner Hose nipple goes straight to the Right with the Large hose going to the Pan Breather and the small one seen just behind the Oil Cap going to the PCV Valve at the Rear base of the Carb. This is how all of the properly assembled R1's are, the United Air Cleaner Decal goes straight FORWARD, Center and centered top to bottom on the front face.This is a Show Car, '64 Daytona R1 Convertible.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32138[/ATTACH]

Thanks Rich. This is the one picture I found on the net but one never knows how accurate the depictions are. This picture threw me due to the wrong fuel filter and carburetor. I can now cut my hose shorter (it was routed to the rear by the firewall) and apply the United Air Cleaner Decal to the front face

Allen
        1964 GT Hawk
        PSMCDR 2014
        PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Well my Son Mike (hotwheels63R2) built that Engine and painted the Compartment, but the funny thing is I could not find a Pic of it, searched all my Canon Camera Files for it!

You did not ask about the Fuel Lines, and on this Car, James & Stephanie Bell's R1 Cruiser, he did what he had to connecting up the Edelbrock, it is not how the factory did it of course using real copper lines.
          StudeRich

Comment

Folks,....United 'dry type' air cleaner cleaner decals were NEVER exactly centered on an R1 air filter lid (or any other Studebaker 'dry type' air cleaner). Doing so simply imparts the somewhat negative 'Over Restored' look!
            Last edited by SN-60; 02-06-2014, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
              Folks,....United 'dry type' air cleaner cleaner decals were NEVER exactly centered on an R1 air filter lid (or any other Studebaker 'dry type' air cleaner). Doing so simply imparts the somewhat negative 'Over Restored' look!
              Do you want me to call Chris at S.I. South Bend, and have him pull a Champion or '57 Commander Oil Bath out of the Box and prove you wrong Ed?

Or how about a '51-'52 Commander 530576 Dry Type?
              Last edited by StudeRich; 02-06-2014, 02:04 PM.
              StudeRich

Comment

Gotta agree...I can't see an assembly line worker taking the time and effort to exactly center each decal. It would likely have simply been slap the decal on as the air cleaner comes down the line. The other alternative would be to have had a template to center it which seems like an expense Studebaker wouldn't have gone to. This was a production line vehicle...not a high end shop doing a 400 point car.
                Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

The Decals were not installed by Assembly Line workers, they came with the purchased Air Cleaners.
                  StudeRich

Comment

Rich,...The engine photo You posted looks GREAT....and the air filter decal looks very nice 'dead centered' on it's housing, but truly, if one came down the assembly line centered like that it would have been by pure accident. Sorry Rich, but I just never cared for the 'Over Restored' look.

Comment

Guess I'm OVER restoring mine. I think I will mark the centre, draw crosshairs, water it down with soapy water and slide that sticky decal over the OVER chromed and OVER restored air filter until it is perfectly aligned. Just like the air cleaner factory did before they shipped them to Studebaker and a factory worker put the air cleaner on.
                      (sometimes I wish there was a sarcasm font)

Thanks again Studerich.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140203_135541 resized.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	1687685

Allen
                      1964 GT Hawk
                      PSMCDR 2014
                      PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

The original United dry type air cleaners I've had (non-R1), have the decal 90 degrees from the inlet. As long as you're on board with the factory inlet location pointing straight to the right, that puts the decal front and center. Also noticed they are centered up and down nicely on the housing, just haven't seen originals in any other location.
                        Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Never saw a chrome R1 one with the decal on the edge. All the used ones I've seen had them on the top.
                          JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post
                            Guess I'm OVER restoring mine. I think I will mark the centre, draw crosshairs, water it down with soapy water and slide that sticky decal over the OVER chromed and OVER restored air filter until it is perfectly aligned. Just like the air cleaner factory did before they shipped them to Studebaker and a factory worker put the air cleaner on.
                            (sometimes I wish there was a sarcasm font)

Thanks again Studerich.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32173[/ATTACH]

Allen
                            1996 Impala SS
                            1967 Jag XKE FHC
                            1963 Avanti R2
                            1963 Avanti R1
                            1956 Packard Patrician
                            1948 Jag Mk IV DHC
                            1909 Hupmobile Model 20

Comment

And that's gonna prove what Rich?,that some match up to one another. of the thousands made You actually think they're all uniform per air cleaner housing style "good grief Charlie Brown" the QC just was not alive in those days !
                              Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                              Do you want me to call Chris at S.I. South Bend, and have him pull a Champion or '57 Commander Oil Bath out of the Box and prove you wrong Ed?

Or how about a '51-'52 Commander 530576 Dry Type?
                              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
                              X