hanging pedals 50 champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: hanging pedals 50 champion

Anyone ever installed hanging brake and clutch pedals in a 50 champion? I have been thinking about this but have seen nothing on it so far. Was thinking of prowling the wrecking yards to see if I find anything that might fit. Car is down to a bare shell inside and out so it's easy to work with. My only real question is installing a cylinder on the clutch. Also I was wondering if there is kit out there somewhere for this.

Thanks
    sigpic
    Barn Find
    1950 Champion
    Before I started
    Jim Berry
    Midlothian, TX

I'm sure it can be done. I've seen a number of Studebakers and other cars with a pedal hanging down from under the dash. The firewall will, of course, need to be reinforced since it was not designed for the strain.
    What I have wondered is why go to the trouble? The master cylinder just clutters up the engine compartment.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Don't know if I really want to. My ides was to improve the brakes but I have installed a front and rear axel from a 50 land cruiser and I'm pretty sure the 11" drums will stop ok. I was just thinking if I wanted to do this now would be the time.
      sigpic
      Barn Find
      1950 Champion
      Before I started
      Jim Berry
      Midlothian, TX

Comment

I can understand mounting the master cylinder up on the firewall since it'd be easy to check the fluid @ every oil change.
        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
          I can understand mounting the master cylinder up on the firewall since it'd be easy to check the fluid @ every oil change.
          A remote reservoir would be neater and work the same way. A few folks have done this on their Studes.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
            A remote reservoir would be neater and work the same way. A few folks have done this on their Studes.
            True that.
            --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I assume the bulletnose has the same firewall as my 48 Champion. As someone said, the thin sheet metal is not adequate for the pedal forces, so a hanging pedal assembly requires some reinforcement of the firewall. I used a piece of 1/8 inch steel plate, shown in post #63 here:
              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...Champion/page2

The Skyline pedals are ideal because the clutch and brake assemblies are completely separate. Some cars have a pedal assembly that includes both on a common shaft, and would be difficult to adapt because of interference with the steering column. I assume other Nissan cars would have a similar arrangement - take a look at a 240SX for example. We had to raise the clutch assembly some to clear the diagonal brace on the Stude firewall, so we have to lengthen the clutch pedal an inch or so. I assume you can mount the clutch slave cylinder under the floor with suitable bracketry to operate the clutch lever.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sean welding firewall plate.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1687654
              Last edited by 48skyliner; 02-03-2014, 08:04 PM.
              Trying to build a 48 Studebaker for the 21st century.
              See more of my projects at stilettoman.info

Comment

If you want to improve those 11 inch commander front brakes, look into using late model Studebaker V-8 brakes beginning with the backing plates, w/c's and shoes. Your 1950 drums will still fit and thus preserve the 1950 bolt pattern and wheels.

Comment

I would appreciate seeing a parts list and diagram of a remote brake fluid that would fit my 1950 Champion. Checking and adding brake fluid would be so much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by DWBookout View Post
                    I would appreciate seeing a parts list and diagram of a remote brake fluid that would fit my 1950 Champion. Checking and adding brake fluid would be so much easier.
                    MY 64 Cruiser has a dual master cyl. on the firewall which is great my other two are underneath the floor pan what a pain. I'm considering doing swing pedals on my 62 Hawk for the same reasons you stated, any maintenance is a lot easier.

Comment

TURNING WHEELS (Feb, '14).
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Doubledaddy,

I realize that your question was about hanging pedals, but I ended up with front discs in my daughter's 50 Champion and installed a Wilwood dual master cylinder in nearly the original location using the original pedal setup. With remote reservoirs, it is easy to check and service fluid. I had the modify the mechanism a little to get the right stroke for the master cylinder. So far, it works great. This car has stock engine and trans.

Mike
                        1950 Champion Sedan - Kid Car

Comment

Remote resevoirs are an easy fix to keeping the fluid levels up. I have two remotes in the 54...one for brakes another for hydraulic clutch.
                          If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
                          64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
                          61 V8 Tcab
                          63 Tcab 20R powered
                          55 Commander Wagon
                          54 Champion Wagon
                          46 Gibson Model A
                          50 JD MC
                          45 Agricat
                          67 Triumph T100
                          66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment