Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

66 Cruiser Engine Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 66 Cruiser Engine Identification

Hello fellows from Down Under! looking at a 66 V8 Cruiser manual trans here in Oz. Only have pics at this stage. Would the V8 be a 283 McKinnon Chev? It has yellow rocker covers & a red air cleaner. Also what was the 4 speed trans like in these cars? I'm guessing great like all Stude parts. Looking at the engine & trans for my 2R pickup project. Many thanks & regards Dave

Originally posted by ozziestudeboy View Post
    Hello fellows from Down Under! looking at a 66 V8 Cruiser manual trans here in Oz. Only have pics at this stage. Would the V8 be a 283 McKinnon Chev? It has yellow rocker covers & a red air cleaner. Also what was the 4 speed trans like in these cars? I'm guessing great like all Stude parts. Looking at the engine & trans for my 2R pickup project. Many thanks & regards Dave
    Yes, the Canadian made McKinnon Industries 283 V8 is the one, and a great engine too as I have one in my 66 Daytona Sport Sedan.

The authentic colours are black rocker and air cleaner, our Aussie assembled V8s of Studebaker design had the yellow/red colours you describe.

Can't comment on the manual gearbox, but the Canadians used top shelf stuff in these cars, so am sure it's a good one.

All the best with your project.
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

HI John, thank you very much. Regards Dave PS. if you hear of a 2R pickup parting out please give me a yell as I require 2 x doors & a bonnet & I would love a M5 unrestored.

Comment

Studebaker never offered a 4 speed for 1965 or 1966. It was either 3-speed with or without optional overdrive, or the optional Flightomatic transmission.

Craig

Comment

I wonder if it might indeed be a 1964 that has somehow been mis-documented as a '66? The yellow valve covers would indicate a Stude mfg 259 or 289, and I've never seen a 4 speed behind a 283 McKinnon. If you can post some pix that would nail it down.
          1996 Impala SS
          1967 Jag XKE FHC
          1963 Avanti R2
          1963 Avanti R1
          1956 Packard Patrician
          1948 Jag Mk IV DHC
          1909 Hupmobile Model 20

Comment

I have a 4 speed in my 66 because I put it there. Originally it was a 3 speed/overdrive. If you can post pictures of the engine we'll be able to tell right away if its a "McKinnon" or a Stude. The early 65's came with yellow valve covers but the date when that stopped is not known for sure.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

The Studebaker engine would have valve cover fasteners in the centerline of the cover. The Chevy (McKinnon) would have fasteners around the perimeter of the valve cover. For the most part valve cover color could be any color available from a spray can.

If you pull the valve cover the McKinnon's had "Canada" cast on the head. Come to think of it, my McKinnon had "Canada" cast in the intake manifold too. I don't recall if the block had that I.D.. If you get the engine and it is a McKinnon I'd be curious to know the head numbers. There was virtually nothing on the internet regarding the numbers I had.

Tom
              Last edited by wittsend; 02-01-2014, 06:08 PM.
              '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Are the plot thickens!Click image for larger version

Name:	stude-V8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	1687596

Comment

Are the plot thickens![ATTACH=CONFIG]32014[/ATTACH]
                  Appears to be a 63-64 "full flow" engine, either 259 or 289 cid. Look for the serial number at the front of the valley cover and report back.

IMHO a better choice for your truck project than the 283 GM.
                  1996 Impala SS
                  1967 Jag XKE FHC
                  1963 Avanti R2
                  1963 Avanti R1
                  1956 Packard Patrician
                  1948 Jag Mk IV DHC
                  1909 Hupmobile Model 20

Comment

Got any photos of the rest of the car?

Comment

HI John, thank you very much. Regards Dave PS. if you hear of a 2R pickup parting out please give me a yell as I require 2 x doors & a bonnet & I would love a M5 unrestored.
                      Dave, Perhaps Chris Skinner from Studebaker Queensland has some parts - he's shutting down and may have stuff to sell.

Apart from that, contact Stude News and place an advertisement, never know what stuff someone has laying around. Editor is Alan Tyler alpays@aapt.net.au
                      John Clements
                      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Working...
                      X