Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1963 289 with auto trans into 1950 Commander?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: 1963 289 with auto trans into 1950 Commander?

I have a 1950 Commander Starlight Coupe with a 245 and DG 200 trans.
    I have a line on buying a 1963 289 with the auto trans out of a Lark and would like to install it in the Commander.
    What do I need to do for this swap? Are there any Studebaker mounts that will work or is this a custom install?

Thanks,
    Lee

This is a tough one since Studebaker did not build a Car suitable for a V8 until 1951.
    I guess you have a better chance at making a lot of Engine Mount Brackets and custom parts to make the V8 fit in a Commander though, a MUCH stouter Car than the Champion version.

You will need to convert to a one piece slide-in Driveshaft.
    I have never heard of anyone ever doing that to a pre '51 Stude. in 54 years of Studebakering, but I am sure it CAN be done.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich,
      I know Studebaker didnt do it, but I figured by now somebody would have tackled it. There are plenty of Studes from this era running around with a SB chevy, so a V8 should fit.
      Thanks for your input.
      Lee

Comment

The Commander six had a single front center mount, and to mount a v8 frame mounts would need to be fabricated. You will need to take into consideration whether you have fuel pump clearence or use an electric fuel pump. Also check the steering box and drag link for clearence with the exhaust manifold. the layout is very similar to the 51 and up frames, so it may not present too much of a hassle. The anti sway bar traverses behind the oil pan on the Commander, so a different bar may need to be adapted also for V8 clearence.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          You will need to convert to a one piece slide-in Driveshaft.
          Or simply have your local driveline shop mate the slip yoke to the front shaft you already have. I've made the swap in both directions before.
          Those 245 Commander flatheads were from a lineage that lasted from 1931 to 1961 and were not slouches; there are folks who still look for them. It's your car but I can't help but ask, what do you hope to gain by the change? And will that gain justify the task?
          I put a 289 in to my '53 so I am definitely not the rebuking purist. Simply curious.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The simple reason for contemplating the change is twice the horsepower with 100 more ft. lbs of torque. Also my 245 and DG trans need work as where the 289 and flightomatic are runners. Right now I am just trying to figure out how daunting a task I am looking at. Thanks for all the input.

Comment

You know that old saying. Give me a torch and a welder and I can do anything. I would think it can be done. Check with speedway motors they have a lot of universal motor mounts.

Comment

Put a frame/sus front clip on it from a 51 up jimmijim
                sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
                X