Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

any aftermarket headers for our engines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: any aftermarket headers for our engines?

I'm trying to gather everything to install my engine this summer, and I need exhaust manifolds. Now I'll settle for stock and be just happy, but it still brought the question to mind. Are there any aftermarket headers that were ever made for our studebaker V8s? Feels like there should be but, I've yet hear about or see them. I saw a pic of a stude v8 with sbc headers with one capped off, does that really work? And are they had to mod, cause SBC headers are a dime a dozen. Would that also mean Sone modded V6 headers off like a 4.3 would be a good possibility? I know about the R3 ones but they are spendy. Probably been discussed many times but I'm really curious about using some off a different engine like in that pic.

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
    I'm trying to gather everything to install my engine this summer, and I need exhaust manifolds. Now I'll settle for stock and be just happy, but it still brought the question to mind. Are there any aftermarket headers that were ever made for our studebaker V8s? Feels like there should be but, I've yet hear about or see them. I saw a pic of a stude v8 with sbc headers with one capped off, does that really work? And are they had to mod, cause SBC headers are a dime a dozen. Would that also mean Sone modded V6 headers off like a 4.3 would be a good possibility? I know about the R3 ones but they are spendy. Probably been discussed many times but I'm really curious about using some off a different engine like in that pic.
    (Some earlier reading from 2005)
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...p?t-36238.html

Over the years there have been a couple of companies that made steel tube headers for Stude engines.
    But they never caught on...
    Dan Salia was exploring the possibility of having a company make them, but that project has not gotten off the ground.
    Dave Thebalt has some neat 'cast aluminum' R3 exhaust headers..
    (I have seen and held them with my own hands, so I know they are real)
    Be prepared to spend some bucks for either the cast iron, or cast aluminum R3 exhaust manifolds.

You can build anything if you really want it bad enough....

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Or...if you are good with a welder (of your choise) and have a good imagination...build up your own. It's only three tubes (per side !) and all the details are readily available...yes, even three tube collectors.

Mike

Comment

Header flanges are available for the Stude from "victoryheaderflanges.com" Tthey are 3/8" thick and they sasid they will make them out of stainless steel if you want. "stainlessheader.com is a source for mandrell bends in stainless. for carbon steel go to Headers by ED.

JK

Comment

Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post
          Header flanges are available for the Stude from "www.victoryheaderflanges.com" Tthey are 3/8" thick and they sasid they will make them out of stainless steel if you want. "stainlessheader.com is a source for mandrell bends in stainless. for carbon steel go to Headers by ED.
          JK
          I highly recommend the flange plates from www.VictoryHeaderFlanges.com
          The pipe holes are sized for the exhaust tubing to fit inside.
          Makes pipe fitting a LOT easier.
          BDTD

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

After some deliberation on how many projects I have in the works I decided to go nuts and try to get a "shortie" R3 style prototype done up in stainless. "Victory" will do a set of flanges for $150.00, acceptable for the prototype. "Stainless Headers" has mandrel bent parts, I will use 1.625" on the ends and 2.00" in the middle. The plan is to blend them all together as close to the R3 as possible. Once I get the Victory parts in hand I will smooze someone at work to do a 3D Cad model of the beast. From that they can print out wrap-a-round paper patterns to cut the tubes for the critical intersections. After that its just pipe fitting. The end flange will be about a 1.00" thick block with a 0.50" counter bore on top to stick the tubes into and dolly them round. My thought here was to be able to offer the flange in stock Stude two bolt flat flange or a beveled counter bore for a modern donut and three bolts. I will start a new thread once the flanges arrive and design commences.

JK

Comment

Also,

Anyone have a "factory blueprint" of an R3 exhaust manifold? I would like to have that info to build a fixture rather than use my R3 re-pops to jig up. No offence intended to whoever made the re-pops I have. Its just that a clone of a clone can get off the mark in a hurry. And I know about the museum thing for drawings, I am just trying to save some time and money. Were the R3s sold over the counter with a part number?

JK

Comment

One last comment for the evening. Fenton made some cast iron headers for the Stude at one point after the V8 came out. There were two on eBay last year but unlike the R3s the Fenton are L&R, the offer was for two rights. I now regret not trying to get them.

JK

Comment

Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post
                  One last comment for the evening. Fenton made some cast iron headers for the Stude at one point after the V8 came out. There were two on eBay last year but unlike the R3s the Fenton are L&R, the offer was for two rights. I now regret not trying to get them.
                  JK
                  I saved the Ebay pic's of those headers.
                  Of note was the larger center pipe.
                  Fenton 'split' a pipe and welded it lengthwise to add the sizing to the center pipe.
                  Looked decent enough.

Jeff

Comment

Your money, your car, but you might want to rethink that 2" center tube.....!
                    1-3/4" would be the max. I'd go..

Remember, you'll be killing the flow velocity in half the cylinders of your engine. Do some reading on the effects of tubing diameter, espicially on a short set of header tubes.
                    Again, if you don't buy what I'm saying...do some reading, learn it for yourself.

Why spend money to "reduce" the H.P. potential..?

Mike

Comment

Just for S&Gs, compute the area of the two end ports and that of the center port.

Area of a 1.625" tube = 2.074 sq"
                      Area of a 2" tube = 3.142 sq

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

Mike and Jack,

Good point on the diameter. I was judging by the cross section of the Siamese middle port. I will make a super short transition to 1.75" for the center port. I plan to do the first mock-up using plastic sink p-traps, cheap and easy to cut & glue. Once the angles are all figured we'll bring in the stainless I'll post pics when I get started. Thanks for the advice.

JK

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                          I saved the Ebay pic's of those headers.
                          Of note was the larger center pipe.
                          Fenton 'split' a pipe and welded it lengthwise to add the sizing to the center pipe.
                          Looked decent enough.
                          Care to share that photo. Not that'll ever find a set, just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
                            Care to share that photo. Not that'll ever find a set, just curious.
                            The pic's are on my home computer.
                            I'll try to remember to upload them when I get home...

Jeff

Comment

I finally remembered where I saved the pics of the Fenton cast irons. I also added some steel ones I missed on eBay. Fentons for several motors are available for some vehicles but the boxes look off shore so their probably reverse engineered and not made from original molds.

JK

Click image for larger version

Name:	!CBseC1!BGk~$(KGrHqUOKjUE0Qzk!5PBBNItSO)bO!~~_3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	1687552Click image for larger version

Name:	!CBseEOgCWk~$(KGrHqQOKjYEzowe7Z(7BNItSYJ1tg~~_3.jpg
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	1687553Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqEOKkUE1pFpDe0FBNjk6DMnGw~~_14.jpg