Found a transmission guy in Gettysburg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Found a transmission guy in Gettysburg

Got a price range from Millers Transmissions in Gettysburg to completely rebuild the Flightomatic for my 57 Golden Hawk for $800-$1000. Is this a fair price and has anyone had work done there before? Seems like he has a lot of experience with these transmissions. Thanks.

Sounds very cheap...inexpensive. Are they removing it and replacing it or are you? I had my 61 Flight O Matic done recently and was extremely happy with product but the cost was 4,000. I posted about that. Here is some cut and paste from my post:

To make a long story short, they disassembled the old gal (first time in almost 30 years) and showed me the parts. They asked me what do I want. A major or minor rebuild. I went for the works. Here is the list:

NEW ASSEMBLY KIT FATSCO # (b)
    RECONDITIONED FORWARD BAND
    RECONDITIONED REVERSE BAND
    RECONDITIONED FORWARD DRUM
    RECONDITIONED DIRECT DRUM
    NEW PUMP BUSHINGS
    NEW REAR CASE PUMP BUSHINGS
    NEW BRASS WASHER KIT
    NEW CASE TO VALVE BODY TUBE
    RECONDITIONED GOVERNOR VALVE
    NEW DIRECT CLUTCH DRUM PISTON KIT
    RECONDITIONED TORQUE CONVERTER
    FLUID
    LABOR

I told them repalce everything you can so I can get another 30 years out of it. AAMCO did it last time and I have say I am impressed this time as well. This local shop is OK by me.

I think a lot of shops can cure the immediate problem and charge less. If you are really getting a complete rebuild that is something else. I understand the drum parts I got are not always needed but good prevetative maintenance for the future. My torque converter was Ok but while it's out.... and so on. You get the point. Fix it or restore it that's the question I think. Ask the shop ower will he guarantee it for 20,000 miles or two years?
    Last edited by jg61hawk; 01-27-2014, 05:21 PM. Reason: more commentary

Comment

Around $1000 sounds right for my local guy, second gen. trans. shop.

And yes, that's complete rebuild, with the warranty. He has probably done a couple dozen for me over the last few decades, and I've never had a problem.
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket3pilot View Post
        Got a price range from Millers Transmissions in Gettysburg to completely rebuild the Flightomatic for my 57 Golden Hawk for $800-$1000. Is this a fair price and has anyone had work done there before? Seems like he has a lot of experience with these transmissions. Thanks.
        Thanks for the lead!

Comment

Larry has done two transmissions for me--55 President State--259 automatic, and my 64 GT Hawk. The hawk was more expensive than you are quoting, but I needed a new torque converter. He is a good guy and a permanent advertiser in Keystone Keynotes. He can be a little slow sometimes if he has modern work come in as he is a small shop with only himself and a part time guy and newer stuff is his main "bread and butter". He is also an avid hunter and gets a little slow during hunting season. The quality of his work is good, and I have had no performance problems with either car. If you have any problems contacting him, advise me I have several phone numbers and a goo personal relationship with him. I know of at least two Keystone members who have had GH transmissions redone by him with good results. Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by larkregal62 View Post
            Larry has done two transmissions for me--55 President State--259 automatic, and my 64 GT Hawk. The hawk was more expensive than you are quoting, but I needed a new torque converter. He is a good guy and a permanent advertiser in Keystone Keynotes. He can be a little slow sometimes if he has modern work come in as he is a small shop with only himself and a part time guy and newer stuff is his main "bread and butter". He is also an avid hunter and gets a little slow during hunting season. The quality of his work is good, and I have had no performance problems with either car. If you have any problems contacting him, advise me I have several phone numbers and a goo personal relationship with him. I know of at least two Keystone members who have had GH transmissions redone by him with good results. Gordon
            Gordon, was he able to come up with the necessary parts for the DG-250 or did you have to furnish them?
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
            X