Fuel Line Substitute - 53 2R5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Line Substitute - 53 2R5

The fuel line to the fuel pump on my truck is a fiber coated rubber hose about 9 inches long and is rotted out.

Are there any problems with substituting solid tubing for this section? The rest of the fuel line is solid tube, and I am assuming that this part was flexible to account for engine movement. Will solid tube work?

thanks
    Mike

Rubber hose is used for the reason you mentioned. It's flexible. Hard line is not. It's also the same reason brake lines use rubber hoses between the body and axles/wheels. I'd just get another 9 inches of hose and be done with it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

That is what I figured, but I was having trouble finding anything with the fittings I need on the rubber hose. My local NAPA couldn't help me. Any ideas?

Comment

If you are near a large city they may have a place that makes up hoses of various kinds, we have one here. Just anoher suggestion. They have helped me out on several occasions.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

With old hose in hand, your FLAPS should be able to supply you with the appropriate barbed fittings (with inverted flare ends) that the standard 5/16" rubber fuel line with hose clamps will solve your problem. To duplicate your original line...cost at least $10. Above parts mabe 4 to 5 dollars. Done this many times. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
          Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
          Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Dan, what is/are FLAPS?

Comment

Mike,

Friendly Local Auto Parts Store.

Dan Miller
              Atlanta, GA

[img=left]http://static.flickr.com/57/228744729_7aff5f0118_m.jpg[/img=left]
              Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Working...
              X